Kennywood introduces ‘Steelers Country’

Marissa Wiesenbach, North Campus Writer

Kennywood Park and the Pittsburgh Steelers – a professional American football team – have come together for an all-new, historic collaboration.
In 2019, Kennywood Park will open a Pittsburgh Steelers-inspired area called Steelers Country. This football-focused land will celebrate some of the hardest-hitting athletes from the Pittsburgh Steelers, and it will bring the game day experience to fans of all ages.
According to Kennywood’s website, the new Steelers Country will include exclusive merchandise, skill games, and food locations for parkgoers. In addition, this football-focused land will be anchored by a newly-constructed, record-breaking roller coaster, The Steel Curtain.
Coming to Kennywood in 2019, this thrill-seeking roller coaster will serve as a landmark in Kennywood’s skyline and will welcome guests as they enter Steelers Country.
Designed by Sansei Technologies (formerly S&S Worldwide), the towering Steel Curtain roller coaster will set three new records: a Pennsylvania state record, a North American record, and a world record.
With a maximum height of 220 feet, the highly-anticipated Steel Curtain will be the tallest roller coaster in Pennsylvania. It will launch riders through 9 inversions – including the world’s tallest inversion at 197 feet above the ground.
According to Kennywood’s website, a ride on The Steel Curtain roller coaster will last approximately two minutes, during which riders will experience an adrenaline rush as they speed through 4,000 feet of track at 75 miles per hour.
Kennywood officials state that The Steel Curtain will be “The Undisputed Champion of Roller Coasters”.
The amusement park plans to open Steelers Country during its 2019 season, as construction has already begun on The Steel Curtain.
Currently, the roller coaster structure is somewhat complete and is towering over Pittsburgh’s Monongahela River. Just last month, the tallest portion of the coaster was bolted into place at a height of 220 feet above the ground.
The Steel Curtain replaced the now-demolished Log Jammer, a beloved Kennywood ride that was closed in September 2017.
Kennywood Park is an amusement park located in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania.
In a three-acre section of Kennywood Park, Steelers Country will be adjacent to The Steel Curtain. This football-themed play area will feature a variety of merchandise stalls, skill games, and several new food options.
There, guests can enter The Steelers Experience, which is a one-of-a-kind indoor, multi-level training facility where fans can feel like they are on the football field and partaking in the action.
According to Kennywood’s website, The Steelers Experience will include interactive exhibits like the cooperative Terrible Tower and a competitive two-minute drill.
In addition to The Steelers Experience, parkgoers can enjoy playing a number of outdoor games that will challenge strength and endurance.
When taking a break from all the action, guests can enjoy an indoor restaurant in Steelers Country. Inside the End Zone Café, fans can snack on various game day treats. Or, they can partake in a unique tailgating experience just outside the café, which creates the feeling of being at the stadium.
The collaboration between Kennywood Park and the Pittsburgh Steelers is the first of its kind in both the sports and amusement worlds.