PA Considers Raising Minimum Wage

Pennsylvania+lawmakers+are+considering+an+increase+to+the+minimum+wage.+

PA Considers Raising Minimum Wage

Pennsylvania lawmakers are considering an increase to the minimum wage.

David Heilman

David Heilman

David Heilman

Kumar Simms, South Campus Staff

Markedly, at a Jan. 30 news conference, Wolf outlined the minimum wage raise to $12 an hour on July 1, 2019.

Which has been held at the $7.25 federal level since 2009, while 29 other states have raised their wages.

Consequently, following will be gradual 50 cent increases over time until 15$ wage is achieved at year 2025.

So far, Governor Tom Wolf incorporated this hike of minimum wage in his spending plan for the fifth year straight.

Yet, Republican-controlled legislature has contested Wolf’s recommendations to increase it since he entered office in 2015.

Either way, State Senate Majority Leader Jake Corman(R-Centre County) said he would be receptive towards arranging a raise to Pennsylvania’s state minimum wage.

Pennsylvania would increase its minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2025 outlined by a plan the governor announced Jan. 30.

On the other hand, it would possibly result in about 33,000 fewer work openings, the state Independent Fiscal Office estimated.

Significantly, Wolf said if Pennsylvania increases its minimum wage then fewer low-wage earners would need health insurance, and sponsorship from their child care provider.

In April of 2018, the state Independent Fiscal Office estimated that steadily raising the state’s minimum wage to $12 per hour would in turn improve wages for more than one million workers. At the same time, U.S. Sen. Bob Casey, D-Scranton, said he intends to cosponsor a bill to hike the government minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour by 2024.

Additionally, Wolf’s administration is considering a guideline to support pay for countless salaried workers by making them qualified for overtime pay.

To be sure, updated minimum wage requirements will deliver results in 20 states and almost two dozen cities around the beginning of the New Year, influencing millions of wage earners.

As of start of 2019, Pennsylvania was one of 21 states that didn’t expect employers to pay a compensation higher than the government level.

However, two-thirds of the commonwealth’s workforce gaining $7.25 per hour is age 20 or older. Even more, Pennsylvania’s surrounding states did have greater minimum wages, according to the United States Department of Labor statistics.

“While workers in Pennsylvania have waited, the minimum wage has increased in 29 other states,” said Gov. Wolf.

In sum, Legislators at the state Capitol remain deadlocked on this issue, while neighboring states are experiencing higher wages.