North Hills adds sixth grade to middle school

Sixth grade elementary classes will be moved to the North Hills Middle School in the 2020-21 academic year.

Andrew Cardone

Andrew Cardone

Andrew Cardone

Aidan Segal, North Campus Editor

At a Feb. 21 school board meeting, North Hills board members approved to move district-wide sixth grade elementary level classes to the middle school starting in the 2020-21 academic year.

According to the North Hills School District website, the elementary school populations are at 98% capacity with a growth of 2,546 students as of the 2018-19 school year — the highest it has been since the 1997-98 school year.

North Hills School District Superintendent Dr. Patrick J. Mannarino explored several options and laid out the possibilities at a Board of Education meeting on Jan. 24. Dr. Mannarino gave information on “space and capacity, curriculum and scheduling, staffing, time and transportation, budget and finance, implementation timeline options and elementary operations impact.”

Dr. Mannarino expressed his concern speaking with the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

“This is a capacity issue, we’re running out of capacity in three of our four elementary schools. It really comes down to moving sixth grade to the building where there’s room for them.”

This comes after redistricting students in 2016-17 and a two-story addition at Mcintyre Elementary in 2017-18.

School board member Allison Mathis spoke with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette saying, “This provides a long-term solution to our population challenges and I think it is going to be a really good thing for the kids.”

In addition to the resolution, Amy Mathieu, McIntyre Elementary principal since 1998, was named director of elementary education.

A substantial number of students from North Hills school district eventually enroll at CCAC North campus.

About the Contributors
Aidan Segal, North Campus Editor

Aidan Segal is a student at North Campus at the Community College of Allegheny County. He has served as editor-in-chief for "The Voice" at North campus...

Andrew Cardone, North Campus Staff

Andrew Cardone is a writer and photographer from CCAC North. He has won an Honorable Mention Keystone Student Press Award for News Photo in 2019 and shared...