Millvale music festival to be held for third year

Alexandra Gray, North Campus Editor

Over 200 acts make up the annual Millvale Music Festival, which will take place this month.

This year, with over 20 bars and all-age venues, including Mr. Smalls Café, the event encompasses the area in a wave of local groups and artists.

The two-day festival will showcase not only a number of different venues but also a broad range of genres – including punk, indie rock, metal, rap, and folk. The variety and volume of musicians on the schedule ensure something for everyone.

Take a walk down Sedgwick Street, and festival-goers will be greeted with works of local artists. This year, the third year since its inception, the Millvale Music Festival and the artists featured will be working in collaboration with Hemispheric Conversations Urban Art Project to paint a mural in the community.

Over 20 comedians and spoken-word poets will be present, adding another dimension to the town’s celebration. Melissa Mason, an organizer for the event says she’s “excited for this year’s new additions, which include spoken word and comedy.”

“We’re also debuting new technology to enhance the experience for festival goers,” Mason added.

The Millvale Music Festival will be christening a newly developed app as well as screens at the event that both will display live updated information.

Food, fun, and the opportunity to explore the vibrant local music scene will be in abundance. Many bands will have pop-up merchandise stands.

The festival will be free, with no cover fees. An estimated five thousand people will be in attendance. A 50-50 raffle with proceeds going toward Millvale’s VFW and the Boys & Girls Club will be held. Volunteers are offered a ‘shirt, meal, and great times’ for their help.

The festival begins on May 10 from 7 pm to 11 pm, and all day on May 11. More information is available on millvalemusic.org.