Local hockey player shows pro potential

Kumar Simms, South Campus Staff

With attention to Pittsburgh sports, Pittsburgh Penguins Elite defenseman Carter Schade has committed to play collegiate hockey at Penn State University.

Schade is a left-handed shooting defenseman who at present plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite U16 group.

Schade, a 15-year-old defenseman from Mars, is in his sixth year of playing with Pens Elite. A sophomore at North Catholic High School, he is also wrapping up his second season playing for EXCEL Hockey Academy.

Schade will join 14-year old Drew Tsakounis from Virginia as defensemen who have already committed to Penn State for the 2021-22 season

Guy Gadowsky, head coach for Penn State hockey, has accomplished a lot with defensemen who are also beneficial on the offense side of the ice and it would seem that Schade fits that role too.

With this in mind, Penn State’s men’s hockey team is falling off continuous appearances in the NCAA Tournament without precedent for school history.

As far back as their entrance to Division I in 2012 they’ve been consistently running inside the NCAA competition with Gadowsky at the helm.

Penn State made it second round of the tournament in 2017 and came back with another appearance in the competition a year ago, thus demonstrating the brilliancy that is to come for the Nittany Lions in 2019.

Be that as it may, the Nittany Lions will have no loss of defensemen in the 2021-22 season either in the wake of getting Carter Schade to commit.

Schade was welcomed to try out a month ago for USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program (NTDP) and played on behalf of Penn State.

The camp highlights on-ice practices and members will probably play in no less than six games.
They will likewise get the opportunity to go to two U.S. National Under-18 Team games.

The camp was held to help decide the 2019-20 U.S. National Under-17 Team and took place from March 21 through the 25 at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan.

Next season, Carter will ideally play on the 17U Pens Elite group.

As a productive member of the Pittsburgh elite team for years, Carter has built a good track record for scouts.

Statistically, Carter is falling off a 2017-18 season in which he amounted 29 points (12 goals and 17 assists) in 39 games.

Additionally, in the 2017-18 season, Schade appeared in 39 games, scoring 12 goals and including 17 assists.

Unfortunately, Schade likewise went through 44 minutes in the penalty box this season.

Then again, Schade participated in the Total Pro Evaluation Spring Showcase where the absolute best prospects born in 2003 were in full view.

After the exhibition, Schade was commended for the instinct to keep the puck on his stick and his great finesse.

Colby Saganiuk, a forward and Schade, a defensemen both members of the 16U Pens Elite team headed to Grand Rapids for Nationals in April.

“Both have put in a tremendous amount of work in preparation for this moment. We wish them the best of luck next week at camp,” said Brian Mueller, the head coach of the 16U team and the Executive Director of Hockey Operations at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex.

Five players from the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Penguins Elite youth hockey program were drafted last month by Ontario Hockey League teams.

Coincidentally, the announcement came just as the Penguins Elite 16U young men group won the USA Hockey national title. Carter Schade was declared as a draftee of the twelfth round, Kitchener Rangers into the Ontario youth league.

Schade will join the Lions in a few years and the chance to play NCAA Division I hockey near to home is a demonstration of the accomplishment of Pens Elite in creating top competitors for the sport within Pennsylvania.