16 teams vie for Stanley Cup championship

William Zytnick, North Campus Staff

Playoff hockey: There is nothing like it in the entire world and, finally, with the 2018-2019 NHL regular season officially coming to an end, the 2019 NHL playoffs are underway with sixteen teams battling for the chance at hoisting the Stanley Cup.

In the East, the Tampa Bay Lightning came in as the top team in the entire league to play the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Boston Bruins rekindle a foe they have beaten many times in the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Next up, the defending Stanley Cup champs the Washington Capitals face off with a team that is returning to the postseason for the first time in a decade: the Carolina Hurricanes.

Another great series that many expected to happen, though they didn’t face each other often in the regular season, is the New York Islanders playing host to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In the West, the Calgary Flames play host to the Colorado Avalanche. An even better match-up is the Vegas Golden Knights looking to get back to the Cup final after losing to Washington last year. They face off with their new rival the San Jose Sharks.

The St. Louis Blues bring on suspense and surprise as they play against the Winnipeg Jets. Finally the Nashville Predators play host against another interesting team, the Dallas Stars.

In all, sixteen teams have made it to the big dance. Now it’s time to duel.

Who will lift hockey’s ultimate prize the Stanley Cup? Tune into the networks of NBC to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs to see who will walk away a champion.

About the Writer
William Zytnick, North Campus Staff

William Zytnick is a student at CCAC North Campus and specializes in writing about Pittsburgh sports. In 2018, he received a Keystone Student Press Awards...