Editorial: Never mind politics, let’s watch baseball

Aidan Segal, North Campus Editor

After a two-year investigation, President Trump has been virtually vindicated of any accusations of conspiring, or colluding with the Russian government, per Robert Mueller’s report. CNN reporter Jim Acosta likened the results to Geraldo Rivera’s highly-anticipated 1986 television special in which Al Capone’s mysterious vault was opened, only to find nothing.

Mueller’s findings, or lack thereof, is certainly the biggest story of the year, so here’s my take: I don’t care, it’s baseball season.

Consider this and, mind you, it’s only temporary: We can set aside the unwarranted political mudslinging for another day. On Opening Day, let’s put away the MAGA hats and exchange it for your Pirate hat (or whichever team is your favorite), an “Impeach 45” sign for a foam-finger.

Other than being in a constant state of vitriol and disagreement, partaking in the national pastime is just about the most American thing you can do and has been in the backdrop of some of the most important, even darkest periods of our country’s history, bringing us together. Think President Bush’s near-perfect ceremonial first pitch in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks, or David Ortiz’s impassioned “This is our (expletive) city” speech in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings.

And it isn’t always about patriotism. Sometimes it was just the sheer talent, the magnitude of a Babe Ruth home run, the out-and-out dominance of Sandy Koufax from the pitcher’s mound, or the spectacle of Roberto Clemente hurling a bullseye from the right field corner, that left us dumbfounded, even humbled.

Like our history it wasn’t perfect–not everyone could play. Josh Gibson would never play in the big leagues because he was a man of color. Legend has it, Gibson, playing for the Homestead Grays, a team of the segregated baseball organization known as the Negro Leagues, smashed a ball out of Yankee Stadium, one of as many as 900 home runs in his career (Negro League statistics are often incomplete or lost). It leaves us wondering what could have been.

But if there is anything truly remarkable about the American spirit, it is our willingness to constantly better ourselves, which we have Jackie Robinson to thank for that. The thing about baseball is it knows no race, religion, and yes, no political party. For nine innings, let’s watch baseball, or quite simply, be American.