Editorial: A closing message from an outgoing Editor-in-Chief

Aidan Segal, North Campus Editor

On the eve of the turn of the century came a game-changing science-fiction film leaving viewers questioning the very world around them called “The Matrix” (1999) by Lana and Lilly Wachowski. While the mind-boggling bullet-dodging sequences remain vivid in the minds of movie-goers alike, what stands firm among all its distinctions, is the iconic sit-down where Morpheus lays Neo a heavy ultimatum:

“You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember.” he says, “all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.”

I have been emphasizing the importance of truth throughout the year in my monthly editorials, but in regards to this quote there is a second, much more stimulating layer and that is choice.

Alas, I have reached my last editorial leading the little North Campus newspaper which has grown tremendously in talent in the year-and-a-half since I joined the staff, and with that I have learned the reality of the choices we make.

The choice which I have made that withdraws me from this position is the University of Pittsburgh where I will attend beginning in the fall of 2019.

It makes me think of Admiral James Stockdale’s humorously ineffective opening statement to the 1992 vice-presidential debate, asking “Who am I? Why am I here?”

Perhaps, we ought to ask ourselves that question in some time or another. For me it was a long and winding road, as the Beatles song goes. My initial path did not intend to lead to CCAC, but after a dissatisfying semester at Point Park University, I figured I’d bide my time in community college until I got back on my feet.

What I discovered right away, with the encouragement of the campus-famous Rob Velella, is that I was in a unique situation. Nowhere else with the enormity of universities, were there such an opportunity where I could rise from a staff writing position to a leadership position within a year.

I wasn’t just on my feet, I was constantly on my toes.

I wish I could share some wisdom from my time at CCAC and my affairs going forward, but I would be lying. I know no more no less than anyone else in this world, and if I discover anything noteworthy, I will be sure to write about it, and I hope you will be there to read it.

All I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Thank you,

Aidan Segal