Disney remakes seek to reclaim childhood classics

Will Smith                           takes over the role of the Genie in Disney's remake of Aladdin.

Will Smith takes over the role of the Genie in Disney's remake of Aladdin.

Courtesy of Disney

Courtesy of Disney

Courtesy of Disney

Gabriela Bosonetto, North Campus Staff

There is nothing new under the sun, which is why sometimes it is best to turn back to the classics. Disney has adopted this attitude with its recent string of live-action remakes.

Although these movies have brought some controversy to the viewers, the general consensus has been that albeit some of these movies have been hits, the majority have not lived up to the magical fairytales of our childhoods.

The issue that Disney has faced with these remakes is that of remaining accurate to the original while at the same time not boring the audience to tears with a story they already know by heart. The filmmakers have struggled with incorporating new twists to the classics while simultaneously staying true to the main story line.

A prime example of this is Aladdin, which came out in 2019, making it relatively recent. In this new film audiences were treated to aweing visual effects and an impressive array of colors, choreography, and vocals.  So far so good.

But all is not well in the fictional land of Agrabah.

The famous actor Robin Williams, voicing the part of the Genie, undoubtedly carried the original movie with his humor, charisma, and all-around talent for entertainment. In the new movie, the Genie was played by Will Smith, who is not unpopular by any means, but also is no Robin Williams. Smith even admits this himself, “I know Genies don’t have Feet… But you left some Big Shoes to fill. R.I.P., Robin!”

With the absence of the powerhouse that is Robin Williams in the remake, the reaming parts of the film had to be especially spectacular to make up for it. Unfortunately, those involved in the process did not quite pull it off.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, Aladdin was good but just not good enough.  “Aladdin retells its classic source material’s story with sufficient spectacle and skill, even if it never approaches the dazzling splendor of the animated original.” This mediocre review matched the mediocre score of 57% that was awarded to the movie.

All that being said, ultimately, the true test of a good movie is not whether it has a good score or not, but whether it moves people. So, the question is, did Jasmine’s powerful performance, Aladdin’s rise from rags to riches, or the Genie’s escape from slavery move audiences?