Pgh music scene was hot in the summer of 2019

David Heilman, North Campus Staff

Pittsburgh had a busy summer in the 2019 concert scene with over 70 shows in just the three locations highlighted.  From stadium concerts in the PPG Paints Arena, to smaller concerts at Stage AE the lineup was stacked with a variety of new and upcoming performers and returning legends alike.

The first highlight of the summer came early for Pittsburgh on May 18th at the only concert Heinz  Field held this summer. Garth Brooks sold 72,887 tickets shattering the stadiums attendance record for by almost 3000. The previous record held by a Pitt-Penn State game in 2016 was recorded at 69,983.

PPG Paints was the stadium of choice for many big names coming to Pittsburgh. The Who lead off the summer season for PPG for fans of the classics. Queen made an odd but impressive appearance with Adam Lambert later in the season. Iron Maiden rounded out the season with their first appearance in Pittsburgh in almost a decade. PPG’s big names didn’t stop with the classics however. Pop hits Twenty-one Pilots, Ariana Grande, and Khalid set off the summer right as headliners with Shawn Mendes taking the stage a month later.

Keybank Pavilion held an impressive 20 concerts to date during their summer set, with four more lined up in September. They did not push for quantity over quality however with a star studded country lineup. Popular artists Luke Bryan, Thomas Rhett, and Chris Stapleton all made headline performances. The pavillion spread their horizon from their usual country roots this summer and opened the doors for rock and rap fans as well. Breaking Benjamin, Alice Cooper and Blink-182 were a few to represent the rock fans. While Wiz Khalifa, Lil Wayne, Nelly and Flo Rida held up an impressive series for Rap artists.

Stage AE fell just one short of Keybank with 19 concerts on schedule if you only count their outdoor concerts. They crushed the summer season with a massive 31 concert this summer. For fans of pop punk Stage AE was champ hosting a collection of some of the biggest names in the genre. Asking Alexandria, Jimmy Eat World and Death Cab for Cutie all made appearances. In addition, Stage AE became the home for a new annual tour The Sad Summer Fest.

However, the summer is not completely over. There are still a few keymark concerts to take a look at. Jonas Brothers are making a stop at PPG Paints on September 3rd as part of their reunion tour. Rap artist NF makes a first time appearance at Stage AE on September 12th. If something more old school is appealing ZZ Top will be performing at the KeyBank Pavilion on September 11th.