Magic: The Gathering to release fairy tale themed set

Oko, art by Chris Rallis, is part of the new Throne of Eldraine release from Magic: The Gathering.

Courtesy of Wizards of the Coast

Courtesy of Wizards of the Coast

Courtesy of Wizards of the Coast

Tyler Smith, North Campus Staff

Magic: The Gathering has announced a new set under the name of Throne of Eldraine that is described as “Camelot meets Grimm’s Fairly Tales”.

The reveal of Throne of Eldraine has sparked a massive interest in Magic the Gathering by both players and non-players due to the art style and theme of the set. Players going far enough to claim that it’ll be the most exciting and innovative set that Wizards of the Coast have released in years.

This is not Wizards of the Coast’s first attempt at a fairy tale-based set. The Lowryn and Shadowmoor sets of 2007 and 2008 were primarily based on Celtic folklore, mythology, and fairy tales. Despite being fan favorite sets, Lowryn and Shadowmoor were not well received on release, most likely due to its player base being teenage males and due to complex game mechanics.

However, with the maturing of Magic the Gathering’s fan base, players could not be more excited for Wizards of the Coasts new attempt at these themes and art style.

Throne of Eldraine’s story pumps up the excitement for veteran players with returning characters such as the fan favorite Garruk. Will and Rowan Kenrith will also be making a return as core characters of the story, and its been teased that a new Fey sorcerer, Oko, will make their debut in this set.

It is no surprise to see the hype surrounded by Throne of Eldraine. Magic the Gathering, created by Wizards of the Coast and being a subsidiary of Hasbro, has shown significant growth in player base and revenue in 2019. Hasbro reports that there has been a 9% revenue increase in the second quarter of 2019 that is primarily lead by Magic the Gathering products.

Magic the Gathering is an extremely popular card game with a player base that is worldwide and ever growing; including an active player base in Pittsburgh at card shops such as Legions: Hobbies and Games, Phantom of the Attic, New Dimension Comics, and a multitude of other stores across the area.

At CCAC, the card game is a favorite amongst students and is especially favored by the Geek Culture Club of CCAC North Campus; usually holding play sessions around campus on their downtime.

Magic the Gathering has shown longevity despite its ever-changing themes and player base. Originally released in 1993, the popular card game has been going strong for over twenty-five years. In 2019, Magic the Gathering became officially the most complicated card game in the world.

Despite this, the game is easy for beginning players to pick up. Magic the Gathering is home to a community of players that is welcoming to beginners and often lend a helping hand in teaching the game. In fact. card shops alike to the local shop Legions Hobbies and Games hold Wizards of the Coast sanctioned Open House events that are geared towards teaching and helping new players. The next Open House will be held on Oct 12 through the 13 with free welcome decks available for players. The Pre-release for Throne of Eldraine, an event where players get to play with new cards before release, will be held on Sept 27 till Sept 29.

Throne of Eldraine will be released on Oct 4, 2019.