New app promotes CCAC’s safety

New app promotes CCAC’s safety

Logo for Rave Guardian

Logo for Rave Guardian

Logo for Rave Guardian

Logo for Rave Guardian

Savannah MacAllister, North Campus Staff

As a solution to concern for safety awareness and communication between security and students, the Community College of Allegheny County came out with their new safety app, Rave Guardian. This app will alert you when serious things are happening, like cancellations or dangerous activity happening on campus.

Rave Guardian contains many features. It includes an inbox for important messages from the staff, a folder with the numbers from the Admissions Office, ITS Service Desk, Supportive Services, and so on. The app also has a Content Directory folder with information about parking permits, a chat folder to  report suspicious contact, disturbances, and harm to a person. There’s also a button for contacting Campus Security. For example, if a fight breaks out into the hallway, anyone can click the “Call Campus Security” button. It will anonymously send your location to them once you place the call, and they will address the situation properly.

A very important feature is called Safety Timers. It is used to tell people where you are. This feature uses your device’s location to keep whoever the guardian is up to date on where you are and if you are safe. The guardian is someone the user has selected out of their device’s contact list. With how popular a quick Sheetz run on foot is to grab something for lunch on North campus, safety has always been questionable while students are on their path if walking alone. With the app, if a student doesn’t feel comfortable walking alone, now they don’t have to. That student sets a timer for how long they’ll be gone, and they let the selected guardian know to watch their location. If they aren’t comfortable with a friend watching, the “Office Guardian” (also known as Campus Security) will watch their location to make sure that the student arrived there and back safely.

“It could be very helpful. Some people might not have cable to see the news or have social media to see cancellations,” says second-year student Chyanne MacAllister. “I personally like to look at the notifications on twitter for important messages, but the app will definitely come in handy.”

“I feel safe. The building is simple and the exits are very accessible,” says first year student Megan Wells. “I think the safety timer and the North Campus contacts are helpful because you don’t have to dig around for the numbers or search campus for them. The safety timer makes me feel more safe here. My overall opinion is that is a very nice thing to have just in case an emergency happens.”

Rave Guardian is expected to be beneficial to everyone and is also designed to be highly accessible. No need to go through notifications and profiles on social media, and no need to skip through channels on the television to check for cancellations and closings.