CCAC’s Nursing program ranked #3 in state for NCLEX pass rate

CCAC's Nursing program was ranked #3 in the state.

Bryce Johnson

Bryce Johnson

Bryce Johnson

Destiny Curtis, North Campus Staff

The Community College of Allegheny County has received the distinction of being ranked #3 in NCLEX pass rates for Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) NCLEX testing.

Out of over 21 NCLEX-RN test-taking colleges that provide associate degrees in nursing, the Community College of Allegheny County edges out 18 other ADN competitors to take the #3 slot. CCAC’s NCLEX-RN pass rate for 2017-2018 first-time test takers was 95.6%, up 13% from CCAC pass rates for the years 2011-2012.

When considering accreditation, student population taking the test, and more, CCAC’s 2017-2018 ADN pass rate is 92.76%. The average NCLEX passing rate for ADN programs within Pennsylvania is 84.99%, meaning that CCAC is well above Pennsylvania’s average ADN NCLEX-RN pass rates.

The NCLEX-RN exam is taken both by bachelor’s degree seekers as well as associate degree seekers. The exam is intended to test a student’s ability to think critically in potential medical situations and to ensure that they can apply academic knowledge to real world issues. The NCLEX-RN exam is a necessary step in nursing students’ pathway to a career in nursing, but is notoriously difficult. The exam can have up to a maximum of 265 questions and may last up to six hours, challenging not only academic knowledge but also mental fortitude.

Students who pass the NCLEX-RN exam have an 89.47% job placement rate based on 2016-2017 statistics given by CCAC’s nursing program. A ranking of #3 for ADN program NCLEX-RN exam pass rates doesn’t just measure test-taking skills—CCAC’s preparation of students for these exams also helps them apply their skills to the real world and enter jobs that suit their abilities.

“Success of the nursing students on the NCLEX exam is reflective of a well structured concept-based curriculum which aids in developing critical thinking and clinical judgment,” says Paula Susi, professor of Nursing at CCAC North. “Following the institution of the conceptual curriculum, the percentage of CCAC nursing students passing NCLEX on the first attempt continued to rise, despite the progressive increase in difficulty of the exam. The students are not only well prepared for success on the NCLEX exam, but also to begin their careers as a professional nurse.”