CCAC hosts 10th annual Odyssey Day event to promote use of alternative fuel vehicles

College receives $10,000 gift to advance student development in the field of clean energy

Electric+vehicles+are+charged+at+a+solar-powered+charging+station+at+CCAC+West+Hills+Center.+

Electric vehicles are charged at a solar-powered charging station at CCAC West Hills Center.

CCAC Public Relations

The Community College of Allegheny County’s West Hills Center in Oakdale hosted Odyssey Day in collaboration with Pittsburgh Region Clean Cities (PRCC) on Friday, Oct. 4. The education and outreach event is dedicated to promoting the use of alternative fuel and advanced technology vehicles and is designed to educate fleet managers, municipalities, school districts and others about cleaner transportation technologies and the important role they play in providing solutions to growing energy and environmental issues.

The event, themed “Greening Our Fleets and Cities,” featured displays, rides in alternative fuel vehicles, workshops, demonstrations, panel discussions, giveaways, networking, lunch and more. Vendors presented information related to alternative fuel and advanced technology vehicles, and a wide variety of vehicles were on display, including hybrid, electric, bio-diesel, propane, flexible-fuel and natural gas vehicles.

Dr. Evon Walters, CCAC Northwest Region president, and Jamie McMahon, CCAC Educational Foundation CEO, received a check for $10,000 presented by Rick Price, executive director of Pittsburgh Region Clean Cities. PRCC advances the energy, economic and environmental security of the United States by supporting local actions to reduce petroleum use in transportation.

The check, made out to the CCAC Educational Foundation, will endow the PRCC Janet Lauer & Mack Godfrey Scholarship, which will further the advancement of student development in the field of clean energy and sustainability. CCAC students enrolled in a program involving clean energy will be able to apply for the scholarship, with primary consideration given to those enrolled in alternative fuels for transportation courses.

CCAC has hosted Odyssey Day annually since 2010, and interest in the event has been steadily growing, with more than 250 attendees in recent years. CCAC Automotive Technology students routinely participate in the event to broaden their education.“The students get current information

about what’s going on in alternative transportation and realize the job opportunities are far reaching,” said Robert Koch, CCAC Automotive Technology instructor and department head. “It is also a great event for the wider community, which gets the opportunity to see the latest technologies up close.”

National Alternative Fuel Vehicle Day events will take place nationwide on Thursday, Oct. 17. For more information, visit afvdayodyssey.org.