Editorial: Journalism on the rise

Editorial: Journalism on the rise

Rebekah Waldron, Editor-in-Chief

This presidency has led to more than just what everyone has seen on the television and social media. The legacy of “Fake News” has sparked interest in careers in journalism that weren’t really on fire with growth beforehand. As President Trump draws more attention to the media and various news outlets he calls them out for, as has become common prose, “Fake News.” When a particular field of work comes under heavy fire and controversy the way journalism has, you would think that the field would shrink. Logically, at least, that’s what would make the most sense. If it comes under fire, if it’s got pressure on it, people would avoid it. On the hard contrary, in this case. Journalism has exploded in popularity.

Dubbed as the “Trump Bump”, journalism school enrollment is on the rise. Students have been recorded as saying their reasoning for enrollment was wanting to “hold the powerful accountable,” according to Lucy Dalglish, dean of the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland. In interest of honesty, I dodge political discussion at all costs. In a lot of cases it just causes unnecessary conflict that doesn’t end up actually changing things or bettering them. However, it’s very difficult to hold an Editor-In-Chief position, even in a junior journalism area like at CCAC, and ignore how the current presidency has played its hand in the field. The activity on Twitter that we all see from the president certainly draws the media into things first-hand. When you literally tag main stream news outlets in a blast post, it will inevitably draw attention to that outlet. That’s really amplified by the fact that the POTUS twitter account has such a massive following.

The rules of journalism are clear. Report the truth that you find, and unless you’re writing for an outlet that presents opinionated content or for an opinions column, you do your best to keep the bias out of it. Are there journalists that could certainly use a reminder of the purpose of a news outlet? Absolutely. Without a doubt. When you create rules, they’ll probably be broken, but the rules are there for a reason. They’re a guide line that keeps things from losing integrity. Do I agree that all reporters and journalists are evil beings that are behind the drive of raising violence rates? Absolutely not.

In my position, I’ve had the opportunity to connect with various journalists. I can tell you first hand that there are some wonderful people in this industry. The Trump Bump has called a lot of things to question in the media. Integrity has certainly been on that list. Between the rise in J-school enrollment and the call for action in assuring integrity within posts, journalism is going through its own silent revolution. In a way, the president is making journalism ‘Great Again.’