West Hills student awarded prestigious scholarship

Victoria J. Sadauskas, West Hills Staff

A few months ago, CCAC student Lindsay Boyer was filled with complete joy. She had just won a scholarship through PMMI (Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute). They offer a variety of scholarships to two-year students to “promote the value of technical schools in closing the manufacturing skills gap.” The requirements are as follows: attend a PMMI partner school; have a GPA of 3.0 or higher; have a career plan in packaging and processing machinery manufacturing; and have a record of past awards and recognition and industry involvement through internship and career development opportunities.

“Once it sunk in that I had actually received the scholarship, I started to feel thankful. The scholarship was not hard to apply for, but the impact was far-reaching,” she says.
Boyer’s interest within the field of Mechatronics lies primarily with robotics and automation. She is hoping to combine her human anatomy and physiology knowledge from a previous degree with her current knowledge of electrical and mechanical components to design or test robotic systems. When asked about future plans, she expressed having a career that is both enjoyable, and offers her stability.

Boyer knows firsthand the pros and cons of being a CCAC student. The highest benefit is cost effectiveness. For public community colleges, the average tuition is around $4,000, as compared to the $15,000+ of most private colleges.

Another upside is the friendliness and willingness of almost every administrator and professor she’s interacted with at CCAC.

“Everyone genuinely wants to see you succeed and is supportive in helping you accomplish your goals, provided that you put in the effort,” Boyer says. This kind of attitude and environment was extremely beneficial for her, considering she was going back to school for an entirely different career that she had little knowledge on.

Having previously attended a four-year college, Boyer feels as though she’s “spoiled.” This feeling ties in with the negative side that most CCAC programs are only two years long. “I had four years at Mercyhurst to participate in clubs and work towards leadership roles in my junior and senior years,” she says. “It was a great experience and something that I feel is lacking at CCAC.”

Another con is how hard it can be adjusting to a new environment. Many students attend CCAC for two years, then transfer their credits to a four-year college. “Personally, it would be difficult for me to start attending halfway through those four years and be surrounded by students who have already had two years to get to know and build relationships with their fellow peers,” she says.

When it comes to advice for her younger self, Boyer knows attending CCAC for two years instead of a four-year college would have been drastically cheaper.

However, she stands behind her decisions. “Living away from home for all four years forced me to grow up and start a journey towards becoming a functioning, independent adult.”ent is as follows “To empower victims of domestic violence and cultivate community attitudes and behaviors that break the cycle of violence.”

The center provides a twenty-four-hour hotline, listed below, as well as counseling and Case management services. Included in Counseling and Case management are programs to help participants access food, transportation, housing, and even employment.

Also offered are medical and legal advocacy. In CCN’s own words,“Significant other services are also provided to friends, family members, and coworkers of survivors as they strive to understand the dynamics of domestic violence and provide critical support.” Another significant goal of CCN is to “builds general awareness about the dynamics of domestic violence and CCN’s wide variety of services.” In order to fulfill this goal, the Center has several educational programs.

One of these programs is actively being taught at a series of “lunch n’ learns” at CCAC North Campus.