CCAC offers tuition-free program for training local labor force

Cole Hall, North Campus Staff

Recently, the Rust Belt has seen a rise in employment in the manufacturing sector. With this boom comes the need for workers to enter the labor force. As a result, CCAC has partnered with regional plastics manufacturers and the Wolf administration to help train a potential workforce.

CCAC is now offering a tuition-free program for a Plastics Manufacturing Technology Certificate. The two-semester program is designed to prepare students for entry-level positions within the plastics labor force industry. During the course, students will become familiar with the manufacturing process.

The program is part of a plan to help supply a qualified labor force for current and future assembly operations. This includes the Shell cracker plant, which is currently under construction in Beaver County.

“As Pennsylvania’s manufacturing landscape evolves, we have to be able to evolve with it,” says Dennis Davin, Secretary of the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED). “That’s why CCAC’s new program will be so vital for workers and their families here in western Pennsylvania. Plastics manufacturing is on the rise, and this program will provide workers the skills they need to land these in-demand, family-sustaining careers in the industry.”

The program was made possible from a $150,000 grant provided by Governor Wolf’s administration, in an effort to support local manufacturers. In addition, as per the partnership with local plastics manufacturers Impact Guard and Hennecke, Inc., students may qualify for paid internship positions during the final weeks of their participation in the program.

“We appreciate the support from the Wolf administration, the DCED, and our industry partners in helping CCAC launch this exciting program,” says CCAC President Dr. Quintin Bullock, “that will not only train individuals for rewarding careers in the growing field of plastics manufacturing, but will also provide a critical pipeline of highly skilled workforce talent needed for this rapidly expanding industry.”