Monty Python’s Flying Circus Celebrates 50 years

EMI Films

EMI Films

EMI Films

Brandan Hart, North Campus Editor

Monty Python, an extremely popular and world-renowned British comedy group, recently celebrated its 50th anniversary. Best known for their surreal antics and bizarre humor, Monty Python is a poignant comedy group with an excessive number of hilarious jokes, movies, and skits.

In celebration, movie theaters throughout the nation showed Monty Python and the Holy Grail, arguably their best-known film. The movie is full of visual gags, over-the-top acting, hallucinatory animations, “fourth wall” breaks, and coconuts. Set in medieval England during the time of Arthurian legends, a merry band of silly knights go on a God ordained quest to find the most holy of items, The Holy Grail.

And now for something completely different. Monty Python is one of the most influential comedy groups of the 20th century, inspiring many comedy groups, and ingraining themselves firmly in popular culture. Despite being old enough to cash in on some senior discounts, their comedy holds up, and is just as funny as the day it first aired on September 19, 1969.

Now back to the regular broadcast. The very silly knights face many challenges along the way. Some being the dreaded Black Knight, The Knights who say “ni”, a duck, the French, The Police, a rabbit, and civilian casualties. Interspersed into the commotion of killing, musical numbers, and heckling Frenchmen, are beautifully crafted animations, showing surreal scenes featuring God, Monks, Peasants, and much more.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python’s Flying Circus, and more of their works are available on Netflix. If bizarre, surreal, silly, British, and timeless are words that describe your taste in comedy, check them out. You will not be disappointed.

For more information concerning Monty Python, Parrots, The Spanish Inquisition (that wasn’t expected), and more, please contact your local branch of the Ministry of Silly Walks.

-Sincerely, A very Disappointed Reader

P.S. No animals were harmed in the writing of this letter.

P.P.S. Except a goose, but he started it.