League of Legends championship underway

League of Legends championship underway

Eva Koumoundrouros

Eva Koumoundrouros

Eva Koumoundrouros

Bill Bailey, North Campus Staff

The League of Legends World Championship is back again for another year, and it has come back strong once again. The Worlds tournament this year takes place over Europe, in Germany, Spain, and France. With the 2019 season beginning on October 2 and ending on November 12, the players will be competing for a $2.25 Million pot.

As the teams came into round one, Group A consisted of Clutch Gaming, Unicorns of Love, and Mammoth. Group B was Splyce, Isurus Gaming, and DetonatioN FocusMe. In Group C was Hong Kong Attitude, Lowkey Esports, and MEGA Esports. And finally, in group D, DAMWON Gaming, Royal Youth, and Flamengo eSports.

After round one was over, the four teams eliminated were MAMMOTH, DetonatioN FocusMe, MEGA Esports, and Flamengo eSports. MAMMOTH was eliminated in the tiebreaker against Unicorns of Love. DetonatioN FocusMe, MEGA Esports, and Flamengo eSports were eliminated, each with a 1-3 round loss.

In round two, DAMWON Gaming won against Lowkey Esports 3-1, Clutch gaming Won against Royal Youth 3-0, Hong Kong Attitude won against Isurus Gaming 3-1, and Splyce won against Unicorns of Love 3-2.

For the group stage, which is the last round before the playoffs, the Group A teams that will move on are Griffin and G2 Esports, both coming out 5-1. Group B’s FunPlus Phoenix and Splyce will move on, both with 4-2. SK Telecom T1 and Fnatic were the Group C winners, SK heading 5-1 and Fnatic 4-2. Lastly, for Group D, DAMWON Gaming emerged 5-1 and Invictus Gaming finishing the stage 4-2.

For the playoffs, there are three rounds of play. Starting with the quarterfinals, with the victors moving on to Semifinals, then Finals. The Quarterfinal matchups were DAMWON Gaming vs. G2 Esports, SK Telecom T1 vs. Splyce, Griffin vs. Invictus Gaming, and FunPlus Phoenix vs. Fnatic.

Out of those four matchups, G2 Esports won over DAMWON Gaming. SK Telecom T1 won over Splyce. Invictus Gaming won over Griffin. Funplus Phoenix won over Fnatic. These four teams moved on to the Semifinals, which are set to take place on November 3 for the G2 Esports vs SK Telecom T1 matchup, and November 2 for the Invictus Gaming vs FunPlus Phoenix matchup.

When the semifinals come to a close, the finals will take place on November 10. The two winners of the Semifinals will compete for the final prize pot, as well as the Summoner’s Cup.