Editorial: You don’t need college

Editorial: You don’t need college

Rebekah Waldron, North Campus Editor

The college track isn’t for everyone. While I would never steer someone away from going to college and giving it a try, there are paths in life outside of the university track.

When I graduated from high school, I jumped right into a four-year university. I failed almost all of my classes my first semester because I had no idea how to adjust, not only to how different university is from high school, but also to being on my own. I turned things around my second semester and learned how to study, but a lot of money went down the drain in the learning process when I had to retake so many courses. That’s when I started at CCAC.

College isn’t for everyone. Labor work, trade schools, and any of the other infinite amount of things you can accomplish in life without a college degree can be just as successful.  If you’re not sure whether or not college is for you, go to community college. The credits transfer if you decide to move on to a university, and it’s much cheaper and easier to adjust if you find that another track is better for you. The educational system really drives home the idea that degrees stacked with certifications and experience is the only way to make money and be self-sufficient. That couldn’t be less true. The fact of the matter is, you have to chase what it is that you’re good at and passionate about. When you chase those kinds of things, you can find a way to make money doing it. Photography, music, working with your hands, working with cars, personal fitness training: These are all pursuits that are valid for building a future for yourself. Finding the best route for yourself and building a solid base for yourself is what life is all about.

A friend of mine, who is a growing business owner who’s been building up his own business after dropping out of college once told me, “I’ve been figuring it out since 2015.” When JT said that, I realized that everyone is just trying to figure things out, all the time. When you find the thing you’re passionate about, the work you produce is greater. It’s better. It shows that you care about the product or service you’re producing. You don’t need a degree to build a sustainable life for yourself. You need happiness, passion, drive, and a direction.

Some people can’t find their drive, and they think they have nothing to chase after. Many of those people who feel that way are trying to find their passion in college, instead of exploring the world that exists outside of it. Take a chance on yourself. If college isn’t for you, it isn’t for you. If you’re not sure, save your money, start with a community college. Pursue what actually matters to you. Life is too short to be forcing yourself into somewhere that doesn’t work for you.