College Student’s Guide to Surviving Finals

Gabriela Bosonetto, North Campus Editor

The month of December is here, and with it comes the season of snow days, holiday cheer, and finals. At this point in the semester, students have persevered through eighty percent of their classes, and are now facing the last hurdle: finals week.

Finals can be very intimidating, but they don’t have to be. If students follow these two simple suggestions from Taumi Kalcich, the student success coach here at North Campus, they are sure to be less intimidated when studying for their exams, and more confident when going into them.

According to Kalcich, the two most important things to remember when studying for exams are “not to be afraid to ask for help” and “prepare early — don’t cram”.

Preparing early is important, because cramming only activates the short-term memory, which doesn’t last a long time, and does not retain information. Also, cramming leads to pulling all-nighters, which additionally impacts students’ test-taking abilities.

Sleep is essential for being able to function, keeping stress at manageable levels, and staying healthy; therefore, loss of sleep is going to affect exam scores. Kalcich says, “[students] are not going to perform as well, because they need sleep to function,” on the subject of pulling all-nighters to cram.

Sleep is important, and cramming is not beneficial; Ergo, preparing early is essential. But how does one prepare early? Kalcich suggests students create a study plan.

A study plan is a plan of action for how to study for finals. If students are not sure how to make one, or if they just need help preparing for finals in general, they are urged to stop by “The Hub.”

The Student Success Hub, that is, where they are are willing to lend a helping hand.

Other than preparing early, the other advice that the success coach offers is to ask for help.

There are numerous services that are expressly for the purpose of helping students in their studies. Kalcich encourages students to take advantage of the many resources that are available to them.

Available resources include the library, Math Cafe, Tutoring, and the Learning Commons.

People tend to think that tutoring is useless if they have not been using it all semester, but tutoring can be very useful for reviewing and solidifying knowledge, as stated by Kalcich.

She uses the age-old expression, “Study smarter, not harder” to emphasize the ease of getting some help rather than struggle alone.

In conclusion, finals do not have to be scary. In the works of Taumi Kalcich, “Prepare early. Make a study plan. Get plenty of rest. Seek help. Be resilient. You got this.”