Drama Club puts on fall play ‘Three Men and a Stick’

Craig Wolfley, Jr.

Graphic by Craig Wolfley, Jr.

Dean Robbins, Allegheny Campus Staff

Every semester, CCAC’s Drama Club puts on a play. At the end of the fall semester, they played an original production: “Three Men and a Stick.” The play was put on twice on Dec. 13 and 16. “Three Men and a Stick” follows a tech conference unveiling two robot actors. The robots can be programmed to act out different genres and scenes. Of course, it quickly goes off the rails—to hilarious results.
“Three Men and a Stick” is very well-done and an improvement over the funny but messy “Les Fantoches” in the spring. It was ambitious but not overly so. The play never tried to go beyond its miniscule budget while still feeling complicated in construction and themes. It is silly, the coffee pouring dance sequence was gold, while maintaining a story that never feels too absurd. I was smiling throughout the whole play. The main criticism of it, like “Les Fantoches,” is that there was no marketing for it as far as I could tell. I knew several people who were interested but either heard about it too late or after the fact. This may be intentional but it shouldn’t be. “Three Men and a Stick” was great and I wish more could have seen it.
Like “Les Fantoches”, there is a genuine camaraderie in the club. As an outsider, I often found more enjoyment in watching the club members be together as opposed to perform for the audience. And in this play especially, you feel a part of this community. A play, unlike a movie, is often performed and then resides only in memory. A play, like spending time with friends, is a magical unrecapturable moment in life where the barriers between reality and fantasy become blurred and nothing makes sense and everything makes sense. “Three Men and a Stick” becomes like a Charlie Chaplin performance at times. A group of bumbling characters stumbling through a world they don’t fully understand or comprehend. The robots perform moments they can never fully grasp. The emcee of the presentation attempts to keep the robots in check to much failure. He is incapable of fixing the robots and finds himself resorting to drastic measures to save the event, as his boss watches. The audience is no different, watching a story unfold with no complete knowledge of where it will go next.
If you are interested in getting involved with the Drama Club, visit their general meetings on Mondays from 12:00 to 1:00 PM. in the Wild Cats Lounge. They also plan to do separate improv meetings in the near future.