The Pulse of the Burgh: February 2020 Highlights

Dean Robbins, Allegheny Campus Staff

The Pulse of the Burgh is a new View Exclusive series highlighting upcoming events, concerts, museum exhibitions, and more happening in Pittsburgh.

The Concerts
February is usually a little slow for concerts but several great bands will still find their way to the city. Indie rock band Dr. Dog will play at the Roxian Theatre on Feb. 3. Tickets start at $27.50. I saw Dr. Dog several years ago at the WYEP Summer Music Festival and would recommend seeing them. They are a typical indie band that plays their music well and is good with the audience. The price is a little steep, but if you like their music, it is worth it. The Roxian is the newest venue in Pittsburgh and is quite nice.
Rock favorite Citizen Cope will play at the Carnegie Library Lecture Hall in Oakland on Feb. 5. Tickets start at $49.50. Citizen Cope fuses blues, reggae and hip hop to create an original brand of rock.
WYEP is co-sponsoring. Indie singer King Princess is coming to Stage AE on Feb. 8. Tickets start at $27.50. If you like moody LGBT-centered indie music, there are few artists better than King Princess.
Hip-hop artist Post Malone will play at the PPG Paints Arena on Feb. 24. Even the nosebleed seats cost over $200 so only buy tickets if you are an absolute Post Malone Stan.
Finally, local gem Brooke Annibale is coming to the recently remodeled Thunderbird Café on Feb. 29. I had trouble finding official tickets but they seem to be going for about $30. This event is 18+. Annibale is a fantastic local artist playing heartfelt folk. Highly recommended.

The Museums
The museum highlight of February are the new Cultural District exhibitions. They open on Jan. 24 during the quarterly Gallery Crawl. The best of this season’s crop is Power Pixels 2020 at the Wood Street Gallery. The exhibition features the mind-bending computer animated art of Miguel Chevalier. This exhibition is free and is located in the same building as the Wood Street T Station. T Rides from Allegheny Station to Wood Street Station are free, so why not? Power Pixels 2020 ends on April 5.
February is your last month to see Andy Warhol: Revelation at the Warhol. It ends on Feb. 16. The exhibition explores the Catholic faith of Warhol with such famous pieces as Last Supper.
February would also be a nice time to take a short walk over to the Factory Installed 2019 at the Mattress Factory. It is about a 10-15 minute walk from campus and CCAC students get discounted admission. There are many fantastic installation pieces in this year’s installment but the highlight is “Night Blooms” by Tra Bouscaren.
Finally, The Frick is opening their next exhibition: Maker & Muse: Women and Early Twentieth-Century Art Jewelry, which debuts on Feb. 15. The Frick’s exhibitions are worth it for their stunning pieces, but their exhibit design literally makes me want to vomit.

The Movies
If you didn’t know already, Pittsburgh is a great city for movie fans. Jump Cut Theater & Flea Market Films are hosting Commercial Cinema: 1980s TV Ads on the Big Screen at the Glitterbox Theater on Feb. 1st at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $8. All of Jump Cut Theater’s events are impeccable. This one will feature a 16mm (type of film) reel of TV commercials from the 1980s. Yes that’s right, boys and girls. 16mm commercials. That’s a rare opportunity. Use it wisely.
The Rangos Giant Cinema has an exciting slate of films in February. Highlights include High Fidelity on Valentine’s Day Feb. 14 at 7:00 pm. This will be a great date for me and my Hatsune Miku body pillow. The Rangos Giant Cinema will also host a 100th Anniversary (!!!) screening of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari on Feb. 26 on 7:00 pm. Seeing this movie on the Science Center’s giant screen will be a dream (or nightmare??) for sure.
Pittsburgh hidden gem Parkway Theater in McKees Rocks is playing the acclaimed documentary Botero from Feb. 7 through 13. The documentary covers controversial painter Fernando Botero. The Parkway has a tiny 45-seat screening room. Their popcorn is the best in the city; be prepared. If you like craft beer, the Parkway is in the same building as Abjuration Brewery.
Finally, Row House Cinema has yet to release their full February schedule at this time. However, they have announced the 2020 Cat Video Fest is coming to the theater from Feb. 28 to March 5. This event is self-explanatory. I saw it at the Hollywood back in 2015 or 2016. It’s basically like scrolling through r/Aww but it’s on the big screen. Matinee tickets are $8 and non-matinee tickets are $10. Tickets are already selling fast, and the Row House has reserved seating.

Thanks for reading the inaugural installment of The Pulse of the Burgh. If there are interesting events coming up in March, send me the details at [email protected]