Kristen Stewart visits the steel city

Gabriela Bosonetto, North Campus Staff

A new movie is being filmed in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Happiest Season will star the popular actress Kristen Stewart. The film is set to be released November 20, 2020.  Clea DuVall is directing and writing the screenplay for this new film. It is a romantic comedy starring Stewart as the character Abby, and Mackenzie Davis as the character Harper.

The movie follows a young woman (Abby) who plans on proposing to her girlfriend (Harper) over the holiday. This plan is disrupted when Abby finds out that Harper is not yet out to her conservative parents. Drama and comedy ensue as the couple navigates through what turns out to be an interesting Christmas party.

This movie is set to film right in Pittsburgh, and the producers are looking for hundreds of paid extras. From civilians walking down the street to strangers in a coffee shop, they need people to be in their movie, and they are willing to pay for it.

As exciting as this opportunity may be for all local residents, the local LGBTQ+ community has another reason to get excited. The fact that this is a LGBTQ+ focused movie with an actress and the director both in the community is another step forward for positive LGBTQ+ representation in the media.

Clea DuVall is known for her appearances in But I’m a Cheerleader and She’s All That. She is one of the most well-known queer actresses, but she has also directed movies such as The Intervention and others.  Mackenzie Davis is a Canadian actress who has starred in Blade Runner, The Martian, and The F Word. This will be her second on screen lesbian relationship, the first being in the movie Lizzie. Although she is not herself part of the community, she is all for supporting LGBTQ+ rights.

Stewart identifies as bisexual and played a character who was “definitely gay,” in the director’s words, in the recent reboot of the classic Charlie’s Angels. As one of Hollywood’s most high-profile gay actresses, Stewart believes that it is important to have LGBTQ+ representation, and shows that through her choices in her acting career.