North Campus and West Hills upgrade IT

Savannah MacAllister, North Campus Staff

It’s out with the old, in with the new at CCAC North and West Hills, as technology upgrades come to classrooms and other campus spaces.
The North Campus Leadership Team and Information Technology Service Department have scheduled renovations for outdated campus technology. Each team toured a number of other colleges to see what other schools are doing to stay current.
“We are extremely excited about the planned upgrades and the impact that it will have on enhancing the overall learning environment on the North Campus,” says CCAC Northwest Regional President Dr. Evon Walters.
Many upgrades have already been completed, but plans are ongoing. Future include projector upgrades in North and West Campus Cafeterias. Sound systems with microphones and touch panel control systems will be added.
“In these spaces, the technology was starting to fail, and was well past end-of-life. In order to continue to support events in these highly utilized spaces, the replacement technology was necessary,” says Director of ITS Field Operations, Megan Rice.
The North Campus Gym has already received a new laser projector, screen, sound system with wireless microphones and speakers, and a touch panel control system. This will allow a more self-service environment for valued events and venues.
One classroom at North, room 1125, will be receiving the biggest upgrade as a pilot for potential upgrades elsewhere. A clear touch interactive display, displays for personal devices, new whiteboards, and a small web cam have already been added. These changes provide a more comfortable and easy learning environment for students and staff.
“Additionally, the vision for the other non-classroom spaces is aligned with ensuring that students will have access to a more vibrant student life/athletic co-curricular spaces,” says Walters.
These upgrades are intended to be user-friendly enough to allow students and staff utilize the new technology without assistance, making it easier for students and staff to learn.
“Once completed, we believe that the improvements will result in the campus having more comfortable, modern and technologically enabled classrooms to support collaborative and active learning,” says Walters.
The IT Services are here to support and dispense resources that are essential to make students and staff comfortable with the new technology.
A series of training opportunities will be provided to orient the college community to the new technology.
“We (the ITS department) track the life-cycle of each piece of equipment, and we make recommendations based on the statistics such as age of equipment and usage statistics, with a focus on how the technology will impact students if it fails,” says Rice.