Guest Column: CCAC and Point Park connect

Cara E. Fulton, MFA, MA, Pathway to Professional Careers Coordinator, CCAC

The Community College of Allegheny College (CCAC) would like to introduce Pathway to Professional Careers which is a brand new program in partnership with Point Park University. This unique program provides one-on-one career coaching, career preparation, guidance in exploring experiential learning opportunities, and help with successfully transferring into Point Park University and participating in their Cooperative Education (Co-op) program.
Point Park’s Cooperative Education (co-op) program provides an opportunity for undergraduate students to gain real-world, paid work experience while earning up to 12 credits toward their degree. Participants have the opportunity to learn new skills while applying the knowledge and theories gained in the Point Park classroom to real-world work scenarios. Students who participate in Point Park’s co-op program gain a wealth of benefits, including:

• Experience working in a real-world business setting related to your major and career interests
  • A valuable network of professionals, which can lead to future employment opportunities and industry insight
  • Financial compensation
  • Improved communication, presentation and networking skills
  • Enhanced resume based on new knowledge and skills gained working in the field

Located in downtown Pittsburgh, Point Park University is a world class institution that is easily accessible and offers over 100 undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs. The university’s transfer partnership with CCAC accepts Associate Degree credits from 12 different CCAC academic programs. In addition, every transfer student receives a scholarship which helps reduce the cost for attending. For a CCAC student to qualify they must be TANF eligible:

• Be between the ages of 14 and 24 years old
  • Have your identity verified through a Social Security Number
  • Be a resident of Pittsburgh or Allegheny County
  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Earn a monthly gross income of $2,446 or less

To learn more or to apply to the program please contact Cara Fulton, the Pathway to Professional Careers Coordinator at cfulton@ccac.edu to schedule an appointment.