CCAC campus president to receive PTK Honor Society’s Paragon Award for New Presidents

Dr. Evon Walters

CCAC Public Relations

Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (PTK) has named CCAC Northwest Region President Dr. Evon Walters a 2020 recipient of the prestigious Paragon Award for New Presidents. He is one of 28 college or campus presidents who will be recognized during PTK Catalyst 2020, the honor society’s annual convention, in April. More than 500 were eligible to receive the award, which is given to new college or campus presidents who have shown strong support of student success by recognizing academic achievement, leadership and service among high-achieving students at their college. CCAC student chapter members and advisors nominated Dr. Walters, who is the only 2020 award recipient in Pennsylvania.

“I thank you, the committee, the students and the advisors for nominating and selecting me,” Walters wrote in response to the award letter from Lynn Tincher-Ladner, president and CEO of PTK. “It is not only humbling, but it is truly an honor to receive this award. CCAC’s PTK students are unbelievably talented, and their advisors are passionately committed to them. That, indeed, is my inspiration for working with them.”

Walters provides leadership to and oversight of CCAC’s Allegheny Campus, North Campus, West Hills Center, Homewood-Brushton Center, Energy Innovation Center and the trade union facilities. In one example of his support for PTK, Walters collaborated with the college’s Alpha Mu Theta chapter of PTK on the Milton Hall Rotunda project, for which the college received a 2018 Innovation of the Year Award from the League for Innovation in the Community College under the title “Using Technology and Collaboration to Enhance Student Space and Student Engagement.” Through the renovation project, which student leaders helped to design, the Milton Hall Rotunda was transformed from an outdated space into a high-tech hub for students. On the nomination form, students stated that Dr. Walters supports members of the honor society through guidance and constructive criticism, promotion and encouragement.

PTK students have a 91 percent student success rate, and research has shown that strong presidential leadership and support of PTK increases member success and the depth of their college experience. CCAC’s four PTK chapters currently have a total of 228 members, with more students expected to join the honor society at an induction ceremony this spring.

Phi Theta Kappa is the premier honor society recognizing the academic achievement of students at associate degree-granting colleges and helping them to grow as scholars and leaders. The society is made up of more than 3.5 million members and nearly 1,300 chapters in 11 nations, with approximately 240,000 active members in the nation’s colleges. More information about PTK can be found at ptk.org.