CCAC showcases live cadaver lab experience

Courtesy of Sharon Abner

W. Ashton Ennis, M.D. leads a showcase of human organs.

Claire Kleffman, North Campus Editor

The Community College of Allegheny County is hosting a cadaver experience on Apr. 18. The cost of attendance is $75, and the experience will last from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The program is designed for students and others who are in the medical field to train and witness an autopsy of a human cadaver.
The autopsy will be performed by W. Ashton Ennis, M.D., Associate Medical Examiner ACOME. Those presenting during the event include Dr. Chadd Nesbit, EMS Trauma Performance Improvement Coordinator all from Allegheny General Hospital, and Dr. Karl Williams, Chief Medical Examiner.
While the event is hosted by CCAC and open to the students, the program is open to others as well. “It’s a great opportunity for anatomy and physiology students, for bio students, nursing students, and EMS providers and those students as well,” said Sharon Abner, AHA Training Center Coordinator, Public Safety Institute.
The program is a yearly event and they perform different medical treatments on the cadaver to show those attending how to perform these tasks.
Students from both CCAC and Duquesne University are attending the autopsy, however others are able to attend for medical training hours, as well as simple interest. EMTs can use this experience as a way to get training hours for their qualifications. The event also looks to educate students going into fields such as Criminology, Prehospital programs, as well as those who are unsure of the field they would like to enter.
There is no photography allowed during the autopsy and if any photos are taken, the photographer will be immediately removed from the event. The identity of the body is kept 100 percent confidential and is always treated with complete respect.
The bodies are acquired from West Virginia University’s tissue bank, where people can donate their bodies to science. The treatment of the bodies during the autopsy is completely professional as well as respectful. The body parts that are taken out during the autopsy are placed back inside the cadaver after the autopsy and then sent to cremation, where the ashes are then sent back to the deceased’s family.
This is an educational experience and should not be attended if not taken seriously.
If interested in attending this event, please contact Sharon Abner at 412-788-7394 or email her at [email protected]