Titans of the monster movie genre meet

Collin Parker, Boyce Campus Staff

Two of the mightiest, fiercest, and arguably largest monsters in the universe battle to be the dominant titan. These monsters being Godzilla and Kong. Both characters have been featured in their own movies; Godzilla, Godzilla: King of The Monsters, and Kong.
Godzilla has had many of his own movies dating back to 1954. The very first movie, Gojira, came out in 1954 and was a kickstart into a huge franchise. In the first movie, and in many later movies, it is explained that Godzilla is the product of nuclear weapons testing from the early 1950s in Japan.
The backstory of Godzilla has been modified over the years, but the basis that Godzilla was involved in nuclear weapons testing remained consistent. In 2014, the franchise was rebooted with “Godzilla.” In this version, the nuclear weapons testing was not testing at all, but instead efforts to kill Godzilla.
In the latest Godzilla movie, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla fights many other monsters, but has no such contact with Kong who is still on Skull island fighting for his own survival.
Kong, or many people know him as King Kong, is a Giant ape that resides on Skull Island. Kong also has a history of his own movies. The First Kong movie, simply titled King Kong, came out in 1933. In King Kong a filmmaker gathers a crew and a cast and sails to Skull Island to film a horror movie.
They find an indigenous people living there along with the feared King Kong. Throughout the movie, they crew chases King Kong around skull island to capture him and bring him back to New York city. They eventually do capture King Kong and bring him back to the city where he breaks out of captivity, climbs to the top of the empire state building, and is shot and killed by pilots in biplanes.
In 2005, Peter Jackson remade this movie and the plot and narrative remained basically the same. In 2017, the series was rebooted with a new movie titled, Kong: Skull Island. In this version of Kong, the military, along with a secret organization, is sent to Skull Island to test tectonics but find the Giant ape. Unlike the original, they do not attempt to bring Kong back anywhere but instead are just trying to get away from the monster and off Skull Island.
The secret organization is called Monarch and has appeared in both Kong: Skull Island, and Godzilla: King of The Monsters. They were formed to find monsters like Godzilla and Kong and try to monitor them. In Godzilla: King of The Monsters, Monarch makes mention of Kong and thus the idea of Godzilla vs Kong was born.
Both Godzilla and Kong have fought other huge monsters in the past and have both been thought to be the Alpha predator where they both reside. The two will finally meet in an epic battle in Kong VS Godzilla.
The movie will come out later this year with an official release date of November 20 2020.