MLB proposes questionable playoff changes

Tom Dallmier, North Campus Staff

America’s pastime could be a thing of the past come 2022 due to questionable playoff changes being proposed by Commissioner of baseball, Rob Manfred.
In trying to draw a wider audience, the commissioner of baseball, Rob Manfred has proposed expanding the playoff format beyond what baseball has ever seen.
Gradual changes to the playoffs have been seen since 1994. In the 1994 season, a wild card team was added that would be pitted against the top team in their designated league. When 2012 rolled around, the league decided to add another team to the wild card pool. By doing so, each of the wild card teams would play in a one game playoff to determine who faces the top seed in their league.
In the newly proposed playoff format, Manfred seeks to have seven teams in the playoffs rather than the five in the previous eight postseasons, starting in 2022. In addition to this, the top team in each league would receive a first round bye, something never seen in baseball.
As these changes would be drastic, players have expectedly not responded well to the proposed changes. Trevor Bauer, a pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds was not happy with the commissioner’s proposal. Bauer tweeted, “No idea who made this new playoff format proposal, but Rob is responsible for releasing it, so I’ll direct this to you, Rob Manfred. Your proposal is absurd for too many reasons to type on twitter and proves you have absolutely no clue about baseball. You’re a joke.” As well, Philadelphia Phillies star shortstop Didi Gregorious voiced his displeasure. “Why are we changing this loveable sport so much,” Gregorious tweeted. These players are only a small sample of the large amount of major leaguers not in favor of the possible changes to their postseason.
The two division winning teams, aside from the leading division winner, as well as the four wild card teams, would host three game series. The two division leaders would have the new advantage of picking their opponents, with the two remaining wild card teams pitted against each other by default. Once the wild card round concludes, the three winners of the three game series advance. This is when the leading division winner would get to face the lowest seed of the winners of the wild card round and the divisional round would begin.
The proposal has raised concern amongst fans who donot want the game tampered with any more as well. America’s pastime has taken a backseat to the NFL since the turn of the millennium, so this could be a possible move by Manfred to turn the tide and spark excitement. Come 2022 it will be seen what comes of the proposed changes, though one thing is for certain, players and the MLB fan base might not take to it as expected.