A world without sports

Tyler Gedman

Stadiums across the country, including Heinz Field, are empty amid the pandemic.

Collin Parker, Boyce Campus Staff

Watching and playing sports is a very popular pass time in our world today. However, due to the COVID-19 virus, we are currently experiencing a world without sports. 

All over the world, events are being cancelled, places are being closed, and people are forced to stay indoors to avoid spread of the virus. Among many other things, sporting events are also being cancelled and shut down.

Sporting events such as, March Madness, The NBA season, the XFL season, the NHL season and even the Olympics have been cancelled or postponed. For many people, watching or playing these sports are how they pass time, take their minds off things and even make money.

This is a bad time for many people but especially for sports lovers. Most of the sports that got cancelled or postponed are planning to continue their seasons or go straight to their playoffs. Other sports, such as the XFL, have said they are cancelling their season completely but will be continuing next year. 

The primary reason for the sporting events shutting down is to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus. The high crowd capacity and the physicality and interaction of the sports teams is prime time for the virus to be spread. Another reason why sports are halted is that many athletes and celebrities have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. Kevin Durrant of the Brooklyn Nets and Sean Payton, head coach of the New Orleans Saints, are just a few names on the large list of athletes and celebrities with this virus. 

This world without sports may sound bad, and for some people, it is. All is not lost, however. Now that the sporting seasons are cancelled, it gives teams more time to prepare and do behind the scenes actions. Many teams have been taking this time to scout players for the future, work on game plans, or just making roster moves.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been busy by signing players from both the XFL and other teams. The Steelers recently acquired full back, Derek Watt, former Pitt Panther, Dwyane Hendrix, and tight end, Eric Ebron. Other teams have also been making changes to rosters in hopes of bettering their teams for next year’s season.

The Postponement of the Olympics is an unfortunate circumstance for athletes hoping to compete, but this gives them more time to prepare. Olympic hopefuls must be the best in their country at what they do, so this extra time to prepare will be beneficial to them. The 2020 summer Olympics been pushed back to June of 2021.

The sports world’s response to the COVID-19 virus has been a positive one. It is upsetting for some people as they love to watch these sports, but in the long run, shutting down these events will hopefully save lives and help stop the spread of the virus.