Animal Crossing: New Hope

Claire Kleffman, North Campus Editor

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a life simulation video game published and released by Nintendo on Mar. 20, 2020. Being released in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, the players looking forward to the release had placed a lot of hope in the game. 

Luckily, Nintendo did not disappoint with this game. It features a new island that to cultivate and customize to be customized by the player. It also features many of the past NPCs, or Non-player characters, from previous games. This includes Isabelle and Tom Nook, who are both loved characters within the Animal Crossing fan base.

One of the most notable features is the ease of which players can interact with others inside the game. This feature has not only added to the unlimited hours of fun the game allows, but has also helped many people during this time of isolation, allowing them some outside contact with friends, family, and even meeting new people. 

The release of the game not only awoke a new found hope and joy for the people affected by the isolation of quarantine, it also paved the way for multiple new memes and online trends as well. People of all ages can not only enjoy the game, but also a series of “inside jokes” that come along with it.  

One of the unique traits of the game is the fact that it plays in real time, rather than a timeline created for the game. While you can cheat and “time travel” in the game, it is not offered in the game regularly.

Perhaps most importantly, like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is full of surprises. I cannot wait to see what’s to come: Seeing cool custom islands from the community, special events, season changes,” said Samuel Claiborn in his IGN review of the game, which rated the game 9/10 overall.

Many reviews of the game have mentioned glitches and difficulties that are expected to come with the release of any new game, however, Animal Crossing: New Horizons has received overwhelmingly positive reviews overall and is concluded to be a fun-loving and entertaining game to play by yourself or with friends and family.