CCAC vs. COVID

Ann Hodos, North Campus Staff

CCAC has chosen to close their doors and switch to online education due to the ongoing spread of COVID-19. This is CCAC’s effort to help prevent the spread and to keep their community safe. 

However, the sudden switch to online education has challenged instructors to recreate their lesson plans while students are struggling to come to terms with online education.

“Learning online is going to be difficult to get used to, but it seems like CCAC has been really on top of things and they are handling it well,” says CCAC student Alex Schneider. “All my teachers have kept up with the deadlines and have been able to come up with a way to continue to teach even during this difficult time.”  

Students and faculty who have no experience with online education may face additional challenges trying to adjust. Online education lacks the face to face communication and the immediate feedback that is provided in a classroom environment. 

Sydney McGurgan

Some instructors have used the same teaching methods for the span of their careers and will have to learn a whole new system. They will also have to become more available and flexible  for students to be able to reach out to them and ask questions about assignments.

“I am grateful that CCAC took the necessary steps to ensure the safety and health of all its students, faculty, and employees,” says CCAC Adjunct instructor Lisa Wilson, M.Ed. “But I am saddened by the fact that I will not have the opportunity to interact with students face-to-face for the remainder of the semester. I hope that students and faculty alike are patient with each other as we transition to the all-online modality. For many, it will represent a fairly steep learning curve.”

Wilson offered the following tips to help students succeed with online learning: Treat your studies like a job, stay on top of due dates, budget your time, eliminate distraction and social media during your study time, stay in touch with your instructor and classmates, use the college’s online resources, and stay healthy.

Dr. Kelli L. Maxwell, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, says, “The flexibility and compassion shown by the CCAC community during this challenging time has been inspiring. Although the ground has been continually shifting underneath us, faculty, staff, and students have shown tremendous resiliency in adapting to the online environment.”

CCAC will remain closed until Apr. 6, pending further notification from Governor Wolf. It is important to remember to keep checking the CCAC website for more updates regarding this situation.