Editorial: Reporters need to think before they write

Rebekah Waldron, North Campus Editor

The media seems notorious for it’s lack of integrity. People have sources they trust more than others, or that they don’t trust in the slightest. Some people have nixed the media all together and have resorted to doing their own research for major topics.

When things like a major viral outbreak happen, the people need to know what’s happening and what to do next. When elections come around, the people need to be able to make informed decisions about the direction the country could go. 

Journalism is more than opinions columns and a source for political backlash. When it counts, the community should be able to rely on the news on the television to set records straight and provide facts.

The sad part is, facts don’t seem to be on the agenda for most news outlets anymore. Instead of hearing about what the current presidential administration is accomplishing, audiences hear about weird twitter wars between politicians. 

Fact checking and source background checks seem to be a thing of the past. If it brings up the ratings and views, it makes headlines. Journalistic integrity has been a major focus at The Voice at CCAC North and West Hills over the past year. If a student organization can present factual stories and save the opinions for the opinions column and the arts reviews, why can’t major news sources that the majority of the public relies on for the well-being of the community? 

As a journalist, the procedure is straightforward. Find a topic, research as many angles as possible, get quotes from authoritative figures and those affected by the topic, and report the facts. Not the speculations, not the “should be, would be, could be, won’t be” aspects. If the reader knows the opinion of the reporter by the end of the article, then the article shouldn’t be published. The public does not google current events to find the opinions of a reporter from across the country. 

They come to the news section to be informed. Facts, authorities, quotes, real information. The media has become a source of gossip, and more than likely, people got enough of that in high school. 

End the opinion-related reports and newscasts that are presenting themselves as fact-based and informative. If the reporters are in it to have a platform for their opinions, try social media instead of a major news outlet.