Doom Eternal rips and tears through the gaming community

Courtesy of id Software

Claire Kleffman, North Campus Editor

Doom Eternal is the newest installment in the Doom franchise. The game centers around an apocalyptic and hellish landscape. You play as The Doom Slayer, aka “The Doomguy”, a hardcore hero and demon killer.

The game was released on March 20, and has received praise ever since. Reviews such as “One of the best games I’ve played in the last decade. Period,” from Steam user BigMacDavis. 

The game has taken an old classic, the original Doom, and continued the story with a fantastic twist. However, this game is not for the faint of heart. With constant demon slaying as well as guts and gore beyond that of the average game, parents might hesitate to let their kids play. 

Players are able to play by themselves in a Campaign play-through, as well as play with others in a multiplayer game mode. 

IGN reporter Ryan McCaffrey says, “This evolved followup takes everything good about the fast and punchy 2016 reboot and proves it wasn’t a fluke.”

While the game is one of multiple in a series, you do not have to have played the previous games to enjoy Doom Eternal. You might want to read a quick rundown of the storyline of the other games, simply to get an idea of what is going on, but Doom Eternal holds its own as a stand alone game. 

Overall, this game provides a game experience that is exactly what a fan would hope for from a modern expansion of the Doom franchise. The game has overwhelmingly positive reviews and rightfully deserves them.