$215,000 in school grants awarded to districts within Allegheny County

David Heilman, North Campus Staff

A total of $215,000 in school grants were awarded to districts within Allegheny County. State representative Anita Kulik made the announcement on February 27th.

Schools will be able to use the money granted for an assortment of safety related initiatives including the purchasing of security equipment and funding the salaries and training of security related faculty.

During the press release announcing Kulik stated “Schools are a place where students should prosper, personally and academically,unfortunately, we live in a time where we must worry about sending our kids to school, which is why securing funding of this magnitude is crucial to school districts in our community and across the commonwealth. This will go a long way in ensuring our kids and teachers alike remain safe during school hours.”

According to the Pennsylvania School Board Association Act 44 of 2018 created a $60 million grant to the 2018-19 State school  budget. The bill also extended the previous limitations to grants to include activities and equipment regarding school safety.

Kulik continued by listing the following grants:

Carlynton School District received $35,000 toward security planning, and the purchase of security technology including staff and visitor identification systems

Chartiers Valley School District received $40,000 toward school wide positive behavior support, purchasing of security-related technology, and training labor compensation for security faculty.

Cornell School District received $30,000 for security assessments, classroom management, as well as security planning and purchasing of technology. 

Montour School District received $40,000 for the purchase of technology, as well as training of faculty in positive behavior support and behavioral de-escalation.

Avonworth School District received $35,000 for security planning and purchase of technology.

Sto-Rocks School district received $35,000 for conflict resolution and dispute management and purchasing of security-related technology.

These grants were part of a larger distribution granted by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency announced by Representative Adam Ravenstahl. The remaining grants were distributed state wide and totaled just over a million dollars.