CCAC converts more than 50 community education classes this summer to online format

CCAC Public Relations

The Community College of Allegheny County has converted more than 50 community education classes that begin in June to be delivered entirely online. The move was made in an effort to provide as much noncredit programming as possible while social distancing guidelines remain in effect this summer. The list features some of the most popular offerings in CCAC’s Community Education division, including a variety of art and computer classes. All of the classes will be conducted via Zoom, and instructors may also utilize Blackboard, CCAC’s course management system for internet, hybrid and technology-supported courses.

Classes that are being offered online this summer include: Spanish, French, Latin and ESL; Math Enrichment – Advance Placement; SAT prep; Microsoft Office; Windows 10; Excel; Photography 101; Painting in Oil & Acrylics; Drawing Basics; Modern Calligraphy & Lettering; Creative Writing for Beginners; How to Start a Small Business; Yoga for Kids; and many more.

One popular class, which moved to an online format during the spring session and will be back for the summer starting June 22, is Introduction to Tap Dance. After a bit of a learning curve the first week of the transition, everything ran very smoothly. The instructor, Kaycee Sewchok, has been conducting two classes per week for a total of 24 students via Zoom. The classes operate much the same way in the virtual classroom as in the physical classroom, with Sewchok able to lead the students through the steps and provide feedback as they dance in their kitchens, on hardwood floors, or on a piece of board in their living rooms. After class, she emails them a link to the recording of the session so they can continue to practice. Several students have stated that they prefer the virtual class because it gives them the ability to review the lessons.

“My students and I are happy to keep dancing! It’s great to continue to be physically active while at home,” said Sewchok, who also taught a Charleston and flapper jazz class via Zoom this spring.

Summer session online classes begin during the first three weeks of June. To register and to see a complete list of the classes, visit ccac.edu/workforce/workforce-community-ed/index.php.

For more information, call 412.788.7507 or contact [email protected].