Student shines in ‘The Voice’ singing competition

Amra, 1 of 8 contestants, posing on the set of The Voice for a quick selfie.

Courtesy of Sharuk Amra

Courtesy of Sharuk Amra

Courtesy of Sharuk Amra

Ashley Moan, North Campus Editor

A few months ago, a fellow CCAC student was given the opportunity of a lifetime through a Snapchat story with the popular singing competition, The Voice.

Sharuk Amra, a criminal justice major at CCAC North, took her chances and sent in an audition video.

The Snapchat auditions worked similarly to the actual TV show. After auditioning Amra made it to the top 16. These contestants were split into teams of 4, with Amra placed on Jennifer Hudson’s team.

The next step for the contestants was to get votes on their video on the Snapchat story to make it to the battle rounds in California. After a week Amra’s father had received a phone call from the producers letting her know that she had made it!

Eight contestants were flown out to California. These contestants were the two highest earning votes for each team. Each would compete against their fellow team member and whoever won would get to move on to the finale.

Amra says, “I have never been anywhere on the West coast, so being flown out to LA was an incredible experience.”

On their first day, all contestants showed up in hair and makeup and started interviews.  The interviews went on for about an hour according to Amra. They were also able to perform their songs in front of the lights and cameras.

Their solo songs were filmed so if they would win the producers would have their songs ready for the next episode of The Voice on Snapchat.

Amra and her partner, finished their songs and got the chance to meet Stevie Mackey. In their time with Stevie Mackey, they practiced their battle song.

Amra says, “Stevie Mackey is an amazing vocal coach for The Voice, who works with almost all the contestants on the actual TV show, along with JLo, Selena Gomez, JoJo, and many more.”

The second day consisted of more interviews and the real battle. They began the day rehearsing their battle song yet again while it was being filmed. Then they ran through their rehearsal with Stevie Mackey again, The Voice Season 10 winner, Alisan Porter, and surprise guest, Noah Cyrus.

Noah Cyrus acted as the judge who decided which contestants would get to move on to the finale.

After rehearsal the contestants were given some downtime before their battle. Amra said, “I spent those hours rehearsing, eating, drinking boat loads of hot tea and honey, and praying.”

Amra and fellow contestant, Courtney, gave their all and they finished their song. In the end, Courtney was selected to move on to the finale.

Amra made it so far in the competition and by putting herself out there was able to experience an adventure not many people can say they had the ability to. Amra says, “Sure, I was crushed at first, but after a night out with my sister in Universal CityWalk, I started to feel better-because I was in LA! Having the experience of a lifetime!”

Although Amra says nothing direct has come out of this experience regarding her singing, she was able to get out of her comfort zone. Amra says she even had stage fright. The experience allowed her to gain more confidence to out herself out there.

According to Amra music is her passion and even though she has not thought of it as a career if given the opportunity she would do it in a heartbeat. Currently, Amra is working towards getting a bachelor’s degree where she intends to go to law school after.

Amra says, “I have realized that if I have a passion for something, I have such an amazing support system around me that with just a little bit of heart, I can achieve every goal I aspire to reach.”

Amra is the Vice President for Activities for the Student Government Association at CCAC North. She has also made it on the Dean’s List. Amra’s goal in life is to help people. Her love of learning, love of her major, talking to people about their experiences, and getting the chance to meet diverse people contributes to Amra’s success.