Comic legend Stan Lee dies at 95

Comic legend Stan Lee dies at 95

Creator of many beloved comics, Stan Lee passed away on November 12th.

Eva Koumoundouros

Eva Koumoundouros

Eva Koumoundouros

Tyler Smith, North Campus Staff

Marvel Comics creative leader and pop culture icon Stan Lee died last month after being rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California for complications induced by pneumonia.

Stan Lee, born Stanley Martin Lieber, is most well-known for his role in Marvel Comics as a creative leader and is credited for co-creating some of the best-recognized and most beloved superheroes including Spider-Man, Iron Man, Black Panther, The Hulk, the X-Men, and many other comic icons.

As a creative lead, Stan Lee was an award-winning icon of the industry, not only being introduced into the Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame and the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame, but also receiving the National Medal of Arts in 2008.

Lee always tried to connect directly with his fans, however. For much of his time with Marvel, he contributed a monthly column called “Stan’s Soapbox” which was published in most comic’s issues.
In these columns, he talked to readers about whatever was on his mind, both inside and outside the world of superheroes.

Lee’s death came as a surprise to many. A multitude of celebrities, including actor Ryan Reynolds, rival comic company DC Comics, author R.L Stine, and comedian Seth Rogen, took their grief to Twitter to share their condolences.

The locals of Pittsburgh have also shown their grief in a combination of online condolences, tributes at local comic shops, and multiple articles and commemorations amongst local news outlets.

“It truly shocked me to hear about Lee’s passing. The gravity of losing someone that brought so much joy and happiness to so many isn’t something to get over that easily,” said Steven Maszkiewicz, a student at the Community College of Allegheny County’s North Campus.

Despite this loss of a legend and an icon, it is important to recognize his contribution to the comic book world and the world of arts; not only as a creative mind but also as a man who gave an inconceivable amount of joy to the world.

A man who was a leader in creating a community for people of every faith, gender, age, and ethnicity to enjoy.

Over his long life, Lee watched the comic book industry grow from a niche market in the 1930s to a pop culture phenomenon supported by blockbuster Hollywood movies.

In most of those movies, Lee himself made cameos.

Stan Lee is survived by his only daughter, Joan Cecilia, but will be remembered for centuries for his contributions.