Super Smash Bros. Ultimate furthers the brawler’s successful legacy

Courtesy of Nintendo

Courtesy of Nintendo

Courtesy of Nintendo

Courtesy of Nintendo

Nicholas Capra, North Campus Staff

This month marks the release of the highly anticipated game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch. Spearheaded by Masahiro Sakurai, Smash Bros. Ultimate is the fifth title in the Super Smash Bros. franchise and is advertised as the definitive compilation of the series thus far.
The Super Smash Bros. games are brawler-type fighting games with characters from varies Nintendo franchises as well as from third-party developers.

A title in the franchise has appeared on every Nintendo home console starting with the Nintendo 64 in 1999, making it a staple in the Nintendo community.

Sakurai, the head of the project, claims the game will be an exhaustive take on the series, recycling aspects from every iteration before it.

This includes bringing back every playable character from the previous game. The team also introduced community favorite characters into the roster, bringing the final count to 69 in the base game.

Some notable inclusions Ultimate’s main game mode are a near-complete collection of stages from the previous games and stage morphing, where two stages will cycle during a battle.
Data-miners have also confirmed a soundtrack of over 850 songs, from old staples to new remixes.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, harking back to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, will have a designated single player mode, much to the delight of fans of the franchise.

Unlike Super Smash Bros. Subspace Emissary, however, Ultimate’s Spirits Mode is based on board game movement and mild RPG elements. The player must navigate their way across the board, unlocking characters along the way. The player will also unlock upgrades, called spirits, which are represented by non-roster characters from Nintendo and third-party franchises.

The Super Smash Bros. fan base has been awaiting the arrival of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate since the beginning of this year, though nobody expected the product to be as dense and encompassing as it’s proving to be.

With multiple game modes, over 100 stages and the largest roster in the franchise’s history Ultimate has whipped the community into a frenzy and captivated those outside of the loop.

Even though hype can diminish a game’s final reception, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will still no doubt be a beloved entry in the series and a must-have game for the year.