Boston fights for ‘City of Champions’ title

William Zytnick, North Campus Staff

Since the 1970s, Pittsburghers have claimed the title “The City of Champions” for Pittsburgh. In all of its rich sports tradition and history, professional teams in Pittsburgh have come up with 5 World Series Championships, 6 Super Bowl titles and 5 Stanley Cups all won by the Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins respectfully. Not bad at all to say the least.

And that’s not even mentioning all the predominant sports figures the city has seen in the current and recent generations like Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, Stallworth, Joe Greene, Clemente, Stargell, Maz, Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby and Malkin.

Pride among Pittsburghers for these successes still drives sales of t-shirts and other merchandise making the “City of Champions” claim.

However, it might be time for Pittsburghers to take a moment and come back to reality: the one city that has dominated recently in sports has to be Boston and its surrounding teams.

Boston has just recently captured the 2018 World Series after dispatching the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games which now makes in Red Sox history 9 World Series titles.

The victory — and previous championships in 2004, 2007, and 2013 — would have been unheard of not so long ago. The so-called “Curse of the Bambino” hovered over the Red Sox for nearly a century. In 1919. The team gave up their star player, the legendary Babe Ruth, to their rivals the New York Yankees. For generations, fans believed their inability to win a World Series was punishment for that error.

Just outside Boston, the New England Patriots are considered today’s NFL super team led by their quarterback Tom Brady, who fans refer to as the GOAT (Greatest of All Time). Brady has led the team to win 5 Super Bowls, most recently Super Bowl LI against the Atlanta Falcons.

Other Boston teams have been successful too, though not quite like the Red Sox or Patriots. Boston’s NHL team the Bruins have won 6 Stanley Cups, most recently in 2011 against Vancouver, and their NBA team the Celtics captured their 17th NBA Championship in 2008.

Since 2002, Boston-area teams have claimed 11 championships and Bostonians have begun grabbing the term “City of Champions” for themselves.

If Pittsburgh teams created a dynasty in the 20th century, perhaps it is the teams of New England creating a new multi-sports dynasty in the 21st.