NA volleyball goes undefeated

NA volleyball goes undefeated

The North Allegheny High School girls’ volleyball team has had two back-to-back undefeated season.

Karen Waldron

Karen Waldron

Karen Waldron

Rebekah Waldron, North Campus Editor

North Allegheny Senior High School’s girls’ varsity volleyball team is on track for proving themselves one of the best teams in the region. The team has wrapped up their second undefeated season in a row.

Their roster is smaller than usual, with only 14 girls instead of the usual 20+. With practices every day of the week, these young women are very dedicated to their victory as a team. All five of the team coaches and the entire team are very pleased with their success, however they remain focused on how they can continue to improve for each game leading up to playoffs. The team’s top goal is to be more consistent with their plays and to be more consistent at playing their best, regardless of who is on the other side of the net.

“We have talent in every position on the court,” explains middle hitter Maddi Curran, #28, one of the juniors on the varsity team. “Getting to play against each other during practice every day helps because it exposes us to challenges that we could face during an actual game.”

Even though the team has had immense success for the past two seasons, there is always room for improvement.

“Keeping our focus during long stretches in games and decreasing errors would help us be more consistent,” Curran continues. “Although our team is pretty small, every person on the team contributes in some way.”

This stood true during the WPIAL Finals against Baldwin High School in early November. With a final score of 3-0, yet another shut out for NA girls’ volleyball, the team celebrated their victory with a swarm of photographers and media.

The start of the game was an outstanding display of team spirit with the girls rallying around each other and lifting each other’s energy.

Karen Waldron

As the first period started, the front defense on the team continually communicated to the rest of the team in order to make the right plays. Between the ace serving of #19 Allena Carmody and Curran’s brilliant defense and spiking techniques, the first two periods were a breeze for the team.

When the third period rolled around, NA had a few hiccups in communication that lead to Baldwin taking the lead more than once. As Baldwin began to make a slight comeback towards the end with a few powerful spikes and well-placed serves, NA called a timeout with their coaches to get back in the game. Following their huddle, the defense seemed much stronger. The game had everyone on the bleachers out of their seats by the end, and as NA scored the game-winning point, WPIAL medals began being passed out.

Head Coach Heidi Miller tells the team in their final huddle, “Winning a championship is hard. Defending a championship is even harder.”

With each of the coaches congratulating the team and the families, North Allegheny takes home their second WPIAL championship trophy in a row, and they hope to earn another one next season.