Pittsburgh native Mac Miller dies at 26

Local rapper's life cut short by drugs

Pittsburgh native Mac Miller dies at 26

After years of addiction, Mac Miller has passed after an overdose.

Courtesy of Warner Brothers Records

Courtesy of Warner Brothers Records

Courtesy of Warner Brothers Records

Aidan Segal, North Campus Editor

A myriad of people around the globe mourned the September 7 loss of Mac Miller, a 26-year-old rapper who proudly called Pittsburgh his home in his music.

Even in his rise to fame, Miller never forgot where he came from, and neither did his fans, as the thousands of people who gathered at Frick Park to memorialize the musicians life, can attest.

Born Malcolm McCormick on January 19, 1992, Miller used the inspiration of his childhood playground for his 2011 debut studio album, “Blue Slide Park.”

His hometown was not necessarily the subject of his songs, but he never shied away from shouting out his fellow Pittsburghers.

“I throw a little Pittsburgh reference in there just for funny sh-t because no one else might get it,” Miller said.

Miller died of a drug overdose. Evident throughout his music, Miller dealt with mental health issues and drug problem throughout his career.

In an interview with “Complex” in 2013, Miller revealed some of the important places in Pittsburgh that shaped his life–primarily places where he experimented with drugs at an early age. He mentions Homewood Cemetery, where he was recently laid to rest.

“We used to hang out in the cemetery at night, when no one’s there. In fourth grade, I remember going in there with sh-t to smoke, then trying to smoke it to see what would happen to us.

Miller was a frequent attendee of Pittsburgh sporting events, and was even friends with some of the athletes, including Andrew McCutchen and Le’Veon Bell.

Pittsburgh Steelers running back, James Conner even wore custom Mac Miller cleats prior to the game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Pittsburgh Pirates paid tribute to the short life of Mac Miller on September 17 with a moment of silence prior to the game versus the Kansas City Royals.

Miller’s successes in the rap industry solidifies his name as one of the great personalities in the history of Pittsburgh.

His life was cut short, but his music, as young Pittsburghers will tell you, will last a lifetime.