‘Glass’ gets an uproar of mixed feeling

‘Glass’ gets an uproar of mixed feeling

Courtesy of IMDB

Courtesy of IMDB

Courtesy of IMDB

David Heilman, North Campus Staff

Glass follows Unbreakable and Split as the last chapter in the trilogy of superhero movies written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan and while this movie is by no means a train wreck it certainly has flaws.

The biggest downfall of this movie is in the writing. The structure and pacing of the film is uneven and sloppy. With each of the three acts of the movie having little to no transition and sharp change in pace that makes each act feel like a different movie. Abrupt changes that it difficult to get invested.

The dialogue is filled with heavy handed and repeated exposition. At points even hinting to being self-aware, directly relating the scenes of the movie to the storyline tropes of a comic book.
The addition of this dialogue makes for awkward and unrealistic conversations. It also implies a lack of trust in the audience to understand the writer’s intent.

Shyamalan also pulls his signature card of a twist ending. Unlike his other movies this seemed undeserved and felt more for the shock factor than an actual resolution.

Even after reviewing the movie with knowledge of the way the movie ended there was no signs or hints to the climax.

The camera work in Glass was perfectly middle. It had some impressive shots, a panning shot of The Beast running on fours particularly stood out. It also has some poor choices in it. Long close up shots of monologues lack any visual appeal. As well as a distracting overuse of GoPro and security camera footage during action sequences that detract from the impact or excitement of the scene.
The acting is the greatest stand out to this film Bruce Willis, Samuel l. Jackson, and Sarah Palsy all give convincing performances despite the poorly written dialogue.

The true highlight of the movie was James McAvoy’s returning performance of Kevin Wendell Crumb, a man with a multi-personality disorder who follow a super powered alter ego known as The Beast provided a masterpiece performance. The sudden shifts in personality, body language, and voice are pulled off seamlessly. Each one having a refined and unique presence that pulls you in and make.

A personal favorite quote from Stephen King: “There are books full of great writing that don’t have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story…” The opposite is true as well. Sometimes there are great stories that are told with bad writing, Glass is an example. There is an exceptional story and talented action in this movie. For that is worth viewing.