LA power pop musician, Mike Krol, releases new album

Mike Krol has released his newest album under the name “Power Chords.”

Courtesy of Mikekorl.bandcamp.com

Courtesy of Mikekorl.bandcamp.com

Courtesy of Mikekorl.bandcamp.com

Tyler Smith, North Campus Editor

“Power Chords” is a classic heart-aching and love-dazed Mike Krol album with just a sprinkle of suburban nostalgia on top. Following Mike Krol’s last three records, “Power Chords” is another consistent and coherent album to add to Krol’s discography.

Power Chords is the fourth full-length album from prominent Los Angeles power pop/garage rock musician Krol, who returns after a 4-year absence.

Alike to Krol’s previous releases, “Power Chords” keeps the same lyrical themes and core Krol sound to create a memorable and powerful album. “Power Chords” smacks the listener with an array of fuzzed guitar riffs, lo-fi driven vocals, melodically melancholy lyrics, and tops it all off with a fast tempo.

Tracks like “What’s the Rhythm,” “An Ambulance,” and “Arrow in My Heart” are classic examples of Krol’s signature sound and are all standout songs on this record. These tracks are a combination of everything that makes a Mike Krol song a Mike Krol song.

“Power Chords” is Krol’s first release since his 2015 album “Turkey” and Following that record Krol’s life was massively shaken up for the worse. Heartbroken, Krol questioned his passion for music.

Mike Krol wrote about this on his Instagram (@mikekrol) following the release of his new album, “Touring for my previous album, “Turkey,” ended in December 2015, and by February 2016, I found myself without an apartment, without any money, and had just ended a 3-year relationship. I put all my belongings in a storage unit in Glassell Park, and got a one-way ticket to Wisconsin to move back in with my parents.”

Krol continued “I was 31. Completely disillusioned and frustrated with “music as a career,” I began searching for the spark of what made me excited about songs in the first place. I sat in my old childhood bedroom, with a guitar in hand, trying to fall in love with music again. Eventually I saved up enough money to move back to LA, got a new place to live, met new people, had new experiences, and slowly but surely I started to compile the songs that would make up this album.”

Finding that spark again, Krol created one of the best garage rock/power pop releases in recent years. “Power Chords” is a testament of everything Mike Krol experienced and lived in for the past 4 years. Encasing all that heart ache and doubt into a powerful work of art.

Mike Krol is great for fans of bands similar to The Strokes and alike to artists like Jeff Rosenstock and Chris Farren.

“Power Chords” is out now on Merge Records. To keep up with Mike Krol’s future releases follow his Instagram, @mikekrol, or like his Facebook under his name “Mike Krol.”