New multi-million wrestling promotion to compete with WWE

Nick Jackson (left),Cody Rhodes (middle), and Matt Jackson (Right) co-create AEW with Shahid and Tony Khan.

Courtesy of AEW’s Twitter page @AEWrestling

Tyler Smith, North Campus Editor

Alike to the days of WCW and the Monday night wars, a brand-new wrestling promotion under the name All Elite Wrestling (also known as AEW) is on the rise to contend with WWE.

AEW was founded by Shahid Khan and his son Tony Khan who is the current president of the promotion. Shahid and Tony Khan are the current owners of the NFL team “The Jaguars” and are billionaires who are heavily investing in AEW.

Members of the high-profile indie wrestling group “The Elite” are reported to be acting vice-presidents of the company. The Elite members that are working with AEW are the former WWE superstar Cody Rhodes and the indie tag team “The Young Bucks” that consist of Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson.

Kenny Omega, Marty Scurll, and Adam Page are also prolific wrestlers who are affiliated with “The Elite.” It’s reported that Omega, Scurll, and Page all recently turned down WWE contract offers.
Kenny Omega and Marty Scurll are currently not confirmed to be under contract to AEW and are not confirmed to be in works with Shahid and Tony Khan. However, it is heavily rumored that these New Japan Pro Wrestling stars will be making the move to AEW.

The news of AEW has drastically shaken up the wrestling industry with many current members of WWE are contemplating their status with WWE. It is reported that notable WWE stars may be planning on separating from the company to jump ship to AEW.

Amongst these rumors, notable WWE superstars such as the tag team “The Revival” who consist of Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson, and the duo of Mike and Maria Kanellis have been brought up as potential superstars who may leave WWE.

AEW has already confirmed contracts with prolific wrestlers such as the former WWE stars Chris Jericho, and Neville (now known as Pac), former Ring of Honor star Christopher Daniels, and former New Japan Pro Wrestling star “Hangman” Adam Page.

As of now, there is no news on a possible television deal with AEW.

However, it is notable to mention that many television networks are interested in AEW due to the success of The Elite’s pass wrestling show under the name “All In.”

The news of this potential new titan in the wrestling industry has already left its impact on promotions such as New Japan Pro Wrestling and WWE. It’s reported that WWE has increased wages in their contract offers to indie talent in an effort to keep talent from moving to AEW.

AEW’s first event is to take place at Madison Square Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 25th, 2019. The name of this pay-per-view is “Double or Nothing” and is anticipated to have the same widespread success that “All In” previously had.