Penguins celebrate 10th anniversary of ‘09 Cup

Rebekah Waldron, North Campus Editor

In June of 2009, the Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup against the Detroit Red Wings in game 7 with a final score of 2-1. This victory was the first Stanley cup for Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Kris Letang. These names stand out in the world of the NHL, and their champion reputation had to begin somewhere.

The 10th anniversary celebration took place on January 6th in the PPG Paints arena just before the game against the Chicago Black-hawks. Old teammates from the 2009 championship attended the game and were honored.

Unable to attend, but still in Pittsburgh’s heart, was Marc-Andre Fleury. He recorded a video to his teammates and fans, congratulating them on a decade of successes. Fleury extends his well-wishes to the team by saying, “…great team mates, a lot of good memories with that 2009 cup.” He continues to say that lifting the cup was a dream come true for him.

Crosby discusses the fact that his first Stanley Cup was a decade ago. “It’s scary. It goes by quick,” Crosby said. “I think the great thing about groups like that, you just pick up right where you left off. It feels like no time has gone by. Everyone kind of goes back into the pecking order. It’s funny how that works.”

The ceremony kicked off with a video recapping the Penguins successful 2009 playoff season. Chicago Blackhawks forward Christ Kunitz, a former beloved Penguin, was present for the game and honorably mentioned as a member of the 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins. He was warmly welcomed for a moment during the first period, where he tipped his hat at the crowd.

Since the Penguins have won the Stanley Cup twice in the past three seasons, Kunitz was asked if he felt the 2009 championship has been overshadowed.

“Maybe that was one of the teams that laid the foundation for how well the Penguins organization has been run,” Kunitz said. “The way that they addressed every single season, they expected to win the Stanley Cup. … I think that was one of the teams that set the foundation to put this great franchise in the right spot.”