‘Avengers: Infinity War’ leaves viewers greedy for sequel

Avengers: Infinity War brought back most of Marvel’s heroes and broke box office records in its recent debut.

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Courtesy of Marvel Studios

Lucie Waller, North Campus Editor

In the span of 10 years, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) has produced 18 action-packed superhero films, all seemingly leading up to this one moment—Avengers: Infinity War.

The first in a two-part finale, Infinity War marks the third Avengers movie. 5 infinity stones, 32 post-credit scenes, an ever-growing list of characters and endless speculation, Infinity War sets out as one of the most ambitious crossover films and most expensive Marvel movie to date.

Directed by Russo brothers Anthony and Joe (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War), this film is the moment fans have been waiting for since the MCU’s introduction in 2008’s Iron Man.

First, a very brief recap. The Avengers are a group of superheroes tasked with defending Earth from domestic and cosmic danger.

Formed by S.H.I.E.L.D. commander Nick Fury, these heroes include Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and Black Widow, to name a few.

Over the course of these movies, the Avengers encounter what are revealed to be infinity stones: six immensely powerful gems that grant the user total control of an aspect of existence—space, mind, reality, power, time, and soul.

The Avengers and a separate intergalactic group of heroes known as the Guardians of the Galaxy manage to find five out of the six stones. Whoever possesses all six stones is granted the power to destroy the universe.

Thanos, an indestructible titan, is on the hunt for the infinity stones so he can wipe out half of all living things in the universe in order to preserve it.

It’s up to the Avengers and the Guardians to stop him, thus igniting the Infinity War.

Despite the colossal project and responsibility the Russo brothers undertook, it was impressively well-executed. The 20+ characters were smoothly integrated into interesting and dynamic groups which made for humorous interactions.

The movie balanced humor and drama flawlessly, knowing exactly the right moment to crack a joke while maintaining a serious and impactful tone throughout the story.

There’s never a dull moment in Infinity War. Nail-biting, suspenseful, compelling, this film will have you on the edge of your seat hungry to know what will happen next.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of the movie is the character of Thanos, the imperishable villain of the story. You understand the reasoning behind his motives and can almost sympathize with him. He is presented in a humanizing way, though his relationship with certain characters could have been more strongly developed.

Avengers: Infinity War has already become the highest grossing box office film of all time, boasting a $630 million opening worldwide. Infinity War Part 2 is set to release May 3, 2019.

However, after its release the MCU will be far from over. Marvel already has planned several movies to be released for at least the next four years.