You’re (still) killin’ me, Smalls!

‘The Sandlot’ celebrates its 25 year anniversary in 2018

You’re (still) killin’ me, Smalls!

The Sandlot turns 25 2018. The classic film features neighborhood kids, a Babe Ruth autograph, and baseball.

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Nicholas Capra, North Campus Staff

Summer is almost here! Time to break out the staples of the season: Swimwear, flip flops, Frisbees and America’s favorite pastime, baseball. Or, in this case, a movie about baseball. Yes, The Sandlot is turning 25 this year and every major station will be celebrating the birthday of this timeless classic about childhood, growing up and, of course, baseball.

The Sandlot, directed by David Evans, was released April 7, 1993 and starred a cast of child actors. The movie became an instant classic, and has retained a cult following since its release.

The Sandlot follows a boy named Scottie smalls who describes the summer he learned how to play baseball. This experience earns him new friends, leads him into all sorts of childlike adventures and has him go face to face with the neighborhood monster, who he learns wasn’t much of a monster at all.

The movie is a wonderful representation of the innocence of childhood, inviting the audience to view the exploits of a group of boys through their eyes. Mundane things like the dog next door and the neighborhood crush become great trials the boys have to overcome, and their victories just as grand.

The Sandlot tackles undertones of more serious problems kids have to face, like an inattentive stepfather or property damage, in a way they can relate to. Any mistake and accident the boys may stumble into resolves in a humorous or lighthearted way that alleviates any fears kids might have about their own misadventures.

Though some of the humor is a little dated, most of the movie is a home run in world building and storytelling. Encapsulating the spirit of the 1960’s while still making it relevant and relatable was no small feat, but was done without hiccup. Even kids today in the technology age can feel welcomed by the familiarity of this movie.

Despite being a movie beloved by millions, it seems to cause a rift in reviewers. Some share in most audiences’ wonder, while others seem to find it a disappointing product of its time. Even Rotten Tomatoes seems split, with the movie holding a 56% critic score.

Whether or not critics are right in panning this movie, nobody can deny that it holds a place in summer tradition and in the minds of anyone still connected to their childhood games of baseball.