CCAC students strike success in bowling regionals

CCAC North student Paige Adams is celebrating her win as womens regional bowling champion.

Claire Kleffman

Claire Kleffman

Claire Kleffman

Rob Velella, North Campus Advisor

CCAC North campus student Paige Adams won two bowling tournaments last month. She took home a first place win in the Women’s Bowling All Event and Singles brackets at the Region XX tournament on Feb. 22 in West Mifflin, Pa.

The titles came a week after Adams won first place title in the individual women’s bracket at the Western Pennsylvania Community College (WPCC) regional bowling championship the week prior on Feb. 15.

Adams, who bowled a total of 465 in a series of three singles in the Region XX tournament, says she has been bowling since middle school after encouragement from her parents.

“It’s a nice outlet for me,” she says. “It can be stressful at times but it’s something I like doing. It takes away the stress from school.”

Adams is the only woman on the bowling team from CCAC North. She says that during the regional championship, she built a rivalry with one particular student from Westmoreland County Community College but she finally beat her.

The most recent tournament, hosted at Coral Lanes, was composed of a series of singles games, doubles, and team standings. Adams averaged just over 150 pins per game.

In the regional championship, hosted at the Main Bowling Center in Greensburg, Pa., Nicholas Olszewski and Hunter Stewart from CCAC South took first and second in the men’s individual standings. They also shared first place for men’s doubles. CCAC North student Shane McNickle took third place in individual men’s.

McNickle, who has been a member of the CCAC North bowling team for two years, said he bowled his best that day but could not keep pace with CCAC South students Olszewski and Stewart.

Olszewski, who placed first in the men’s singles, has only been bowling since his junior year at Steel Valley High School. He joined the team there after arm surgery ended his baseball career.

“The competitive spirit in me drove me to want to play for CCAC South,” he says. “Coach Ray [Vilage] and Coach Frank [Gamrat] have really taught me a lot over the months and have made me so much of a better bowler. I owe my success to them.”

Olszewksi and CCAC South teammate Robert Netherton are traveling to Buffalo, New York in early March for the NJCAA bowling national tournament.

“Hopefully plenty more fun times and smiles between all of us and more continued success are ahead in the upcoming weeks,” says Olszewski.

Olszewski and Netherton combined for 1224 in three doubles games at the tournament.

Westmoreland County Community College earned the first place spot in men’s team standings at the Region XX tournament while Penn Highland Community College placed first for women. The team standings were the same for the WPCC regionals.

About the Photographer
Claire Kleffman, North Campus Staff

Claire Kleffman is a writer and photographer from CCAC North. She received an Honorable Mention from the Keystone Student Press Awards (Pennsylvania NewsMedia...